Cheltenham or Gloucester Home bike builders

What sort of things did you want to do?
I want to full strip and rebuild a GT I recently bought. Over the last couple of years I have either taken my projects to a bike shop and paid to have this done or bought a bike off here that has already been given a good going over and is in a ready to ride state as I wasn’t in a position to do it myself. The reason for wanting to now do it myself is that I am now in a better position to learn something new , save money and not spend £150 at a bike shop on an £75 bike 🤣

What the Park Tool YouTube videos don’t teach you is that many parts on old bikes don’t undo at first time of asking, or show the tool slipping off, burring edges and generally making it harder than they make it out to be!

I reckon that if I donated Park Tool a barn find bike to strip down, they’d be having to invent new tools to combat the challenges faced by the home bike building enthusiast!
I’ve bought a couple of very cheap bikes recently just to learn how to disassemble one before I tackle a nice bike . Both time I have stripped the threads on the cranks when trying to get to the bottom bracket. 🫣

I’ve bought a couple of very cheap bikes recently just to learn how to disassemble one before I tackle a nice bike . Both time I have stripped the threads on the cranks when trying to get to the bottom bracket. 🫣
The amount of Saturday lads I've seen do this over the years... Always screw the removal tool fully into the crank arm. 👍

You're never too far away from advice, and post up pictures with your questions - cause we all love pics!

Back