Cheltenham or Gloucester Home bike builders

Hi . Is there anyone local to Churchdown Gloucestershire ie Cheltenham or Gloucester that’s good at working on bikes . Someone that does it as a hobby at home and could teach me a bit . I was pretty good at learning new things but after a severe head injury last year I now find it hard to digest information from reading about how to .I’ve had a go at some basics but I’m not confident enough for a full strip and rebuild + the knowledge of what parts to buy. 🤞🏻 there is someone local that can help.

Happy to supply beer for assistance 👍🏻

Not exactly a response to your request, but I usually supplement my own meagre skills with the contents of the Park Tools guide.. but increasingly these days, I learn from YouTube. Sometimes the details you need to get right don’t leap from the page of a book for me either.

Was watching vids on servicing Fox Alps rear shocks yesterday. It helps a lot, in the event you don’t find someone local to give you one to one lessons. Plenty of home mechanics (nearly said “amateur vids”) but also pro videos from the likes of Park Tools.

Google this...

bike charity cheltenham

...and you will get a bunch of hits for places and i am sure that one of them will happily have you along to help out doing basic stuff and learn as you go. I think that this low pressure environment, with the hands on touch and feel approach, is the way to enjoy learning, with your injury.

There is always us to ask, too. This is one of the more supportive and comfier places on the internet and, if you do come for help, just be upfront about the need for simplicity and ask for more pictures than words.

Good luck for your new year project :)

Not exactly a response to your request, but I usually supplement my own meagre skills with the contents of the Park Tools guide.. but increasingly these days, I learn from YouTube. Sometimes the details you need to get right don’t leap from the page of a book for me either.

Was watching vids on servicing Fox Alps rear shocks yesterday. It helps a lot, in the event you don’t find someone local to give you one to one lessons. Plenty of home mechanics (nearly said “amateur vids”) but also pro videos from the likes of Park Tools.

I have been using YouTube for information on how to and it has been very helpful . I will look into the park tool’s videos as well . Thanks for the advice 👍🏻

Google this...

bike charity cheltenham

...and you will get a bunch of hits for places and i am sure that one of them will happily have you along to help out doing basic stuff and learn as you go. I think that this low pressure environment, with the hands on touch and feel approach, is the way to enjoy learning, with your injury.

There is always us to ask, too. This is one of the more supportive and comfier places on the internet and, if you do come for help, just be upfront about the need for simplicity and ask for more pictures than words.

Good luck for your new year project :)

I feel some of my questions are so basic it’s stupid to ask . Your correct low pressure hands on is the easiest way for me to learn . There is a charity bike shop in Cheltenham. I used them this year to replace the gear cables on one of my bikes ( which I have now worked out how to do myself) . I didn’t think to ask if they did lessons / advice . Thanks for the idea 💡

I feel some of my questions are so basic it’s stupid to ask . Your correct low pressure hands on is the easiest way for me to learn . There is a charity bike shop in Cheltenham. I used them this year to replace the gear cables on one of my bikes ( which I have now worked out how to do myself) . I didn’t think to ask if they did lessons / advice . Thanks for the idea 💡
Never be afraid to ask questions. How else would we learn? If anyone has a problem with you asking questions that are elementary it lays at their feet mate, not yours. Edited because English is hard.

What the Park Tool YouTube videos don’t teach you is that many parts on old bikes don’t undo at first time of asking, or show the tool slipping off, burring edges and generally making it harder than they make it out to be!

I reckon that if I donated Park Tool a barn find bike to strip down, they’d be having to invent new tools to combat the challenges faced by the home bike building enthusiast!

Back