My Overbury's Pioneer

Re: Re:

Dorset_Knob":1dsd9iun said:
sinnerman - thanks so much for posting that ad and the 'Black Max' - I don't remember ever seeing that.

Any chance you can share a hi-res version? I'd quite like to use it as reference. What chance of getting hold of the right Campag groupset from the time?

(The ad I can remember is the green/black tiger-stripe bike surrounded - inexplicably - by oranges ... that colour scheme is another one I'm considering.)

The best I can do is Scanned articles I'm afraid.

Campag isn't too hard to find around these parts, plenty come up in the for sale section.

Here is the Advert for the Pioneer with the oranges, and the Estay that was ridden by team members including Les Lloyd.

A couple of threads that you might enjoy flicking through.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=188154

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=179733

Here a thread to Lukes Frame refinish...
viewtopic.php?t=129938

Theres a lot of love for that little Bristol frame shop, and British steel in general.... :cool:

Attachments

• Overburys Estay-  The Riddler..jpg
    Overburys Estay- The Riddler..jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 616
  • Overburys Towering above Oranges...!.jpg
    Overburys Towering above Oranges...!.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 619
I photographed the page a while ago - from a 1990 Mountain Biker International. I can get a full high-res scan sorted in due course (when I re-find the magazine).

30116451905_37dc9b671d_b.jpg

Si_33":28yewxs8 said:
I photographed the page a while ago - from a 1990 Mountain Biker International. I can get a full high-res scan sorted in due course (when I re-find the magazine).

30116451905_37dc9b671d_b.jpg

That would be a cool poster pic if you could do it in high-res.. :cool:

Wow, very nice rAre frameset. Looks cool with the straight forks.

Might be worth getting the ropey chainstay painted and leave the rest as it looks tidy everywhere else.

Sweet

Might be worth getting the ropey chainstay painted and leave the rest as it looks tidy everywhere else.

That's a good point - I'm currently torn between that and restoring it to BRG (although actually a metallic version of it as per old Aston Martin racing colours, which is the colour I really wanted originally. When I asked about BRG, they told me they took their spec for that colour from Bentley, so I didn't really feel I could argue) …

I think this thread might start taking over my life a little bit.

Re:

These are the colours I originally wanted, and I think will try to recreate this time round.

Am pondering having the 'O's on the head and down tubes picked out in the yellow, with the lettering done in the white of the number plates.

I also wanted XT when I ordered the bike, but couldn't afford it. So that's what I'm going to try to find now. New to this old stuff market, so have no idea what/where/how much...

Attachments

• IMG_0119.JPG
    IMG_0119.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 560
Nice colour combination :)

I'm assuming they started using the 'O' decal at the same time they dropped the apostrophe from the Overbury's decal. Up until that point they seemed to stick multiple 'Pioneer' decals around the frame.

Re: Re:

Dorset_Knob":1i7xknqw said:
These are the colours I originally wanted, and I think will try to recreate this time round.

Am pondering having the 'O's on the head and down tubes picked out in the yellow, with the lettering done in the white of the number plates.

I also wanted XT when I ordered the bike, but couldn't afford it. So that's what I'm going to try to find now. New to this old stuff market, so have no idea what/where/how much...

That sounds great, go with that!

Back