My Overbury's Pioneer

Wonderful to see all the original paperwork - great that you've still got it :)

Re:

Thread resumes...

The bike is now up on the stand ready to receive parts!

I've decided to keep these colours, seemed a shame to strip them off and lose all the decals etc as they left the shop. Original groupset was LX as I couldn't afford XT at the time having saved for 2 years just to afford the frame. I always wanted XT so now I'm just going for an XT rebuild, with a few bits from Kalloy/Zoom etc.

As you can see, I'm treating the paint to a few coats of AutoGlym while waiting for the postman.

Attachments

• IMG_8669.JPG
    IMG_8669.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 450
Re:

You can now post fairly large pics straight to site. Give it a go. Under 3mb apparently.

Re:

That's better :) Love the colours

Re:

Ah thanks for doing that.

Yeah - they're looking even better after about the 6th or 7th coat of Auto Glym 'maximum shine' wax :)

Apparently Mum has found some better pics of the bike in its original BRG-and-yellow paint, with serif Overbury's font and apostrophe. Also 'Pioneer' on the headtube.

When I got it resprayed (at Overbury's), the only disappointing thing was the original MaxOR transfers were lost. I just got a generic Columbus one instead, which bothers me more now than it did then, and to an irrational degree probably.

Anyway, hope to start getting bits on this soon but just building up courage to tackle the headset first...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
So why do I have such unreasonable love for this bike?

It stands for everything that I love about bikes in general and mountain bikes in particular.

When I was little I did BMX, but I got tall and felt stupid on the little frames. What I wanted was a bigger BMX, perhaps with gears and decent brakes.

Then I saw a magazine with a picture of a bike with *many* chainrings, funny handlebars and fat tyres. Instantly 'getting' it, I bought the mag (actually a road bike magazine testing a Ridgeback) and took it home. A few more magazines later and my eyes spy that Overybury's 1/2 page ad with the Pionner against the skyline. Tall and short, it immediately looked 'right', much more so than the Ridgeback and Muddy Fox bikes I'd seen pictures of. I sort of fell in love with it there and then ... and there might've been a review of the bike in one of the magazines that I had too (perhaps the blue-and-yellow) one. I was set on it from then, and just spent hours staring at pictures of the bike and imagining how it would feel to ride.

The name 'Pioneer' triggered my imagination, the fact that it was hand-built made it feel extra-special, and that it was made made in Bristol made it feel local too. It seemed the perfect bike for the Purbecks.

Couldn't afford it. But managed to scrape together funds for a Rockhopper (ironically, if what I have read elsewhere on this forum about the relationship between Specialized, Shimano and Overbury's is correct) which I rode or a few years and loved.

But there is more to it than that.

This period of my life was difficult. I'd left college without a degree, had moved back home, and was somewhat directionless. I had a boring job in a bank and had a constant feeling that I had ruined my whole life by not finishing my degree. The potential to go off the rails quite badly at this point was quite high. But riding bikes kept me straight, I think, and saving up for the Pioneer gave me focus and direction. It quite possibly saved my life, and helped set me up for the life I have now.

After a few years of saving, I had enough for my deposit; I visited the shop in Bristol, went for a ride with Andy and we discussed specs, geometry, use, and finally colour.

I sold my Rockhopper to a mate, who left it outside a shop in Boscombe unlocked while he went in for fags.

I can remember sneaking down to the phone in the basement at Barclays to make calls to Enid for latest build updates. It seemed to take ages. Andy had flu. Waiting for parts.

I went to collect it on a Sunday morning, and I can remember Enid opening the shop to let me in and go out the back where Andy was in the final build stages. I think he was connecting the brakes up and the wheels were off but everything else was done. I just sat there and drank my tea and watched. Andy spoke about the wheels, the build of which he seemed especially pleased with. (231s on DX hubs, DT Swiss triple-butted.)

When it was done, I put it in the back of my 2CV to take it back home to Dorset, but my memories after that are pretty vague.

But I know I did a heck of a lot of riding and got pretty fit. I did local races; long solo rides around Dorset and the Purbecks in particular; Polaris with local lads Jon and Justin.

When relationships went wrong I rode my Pioneer for a lift and perspective.

When I was going loopy at work with frustration and boredom, riding the Pioneer to and from the office kept me sane. Sometimes I would leave home at 5am to ride to Poole the long way round, via the Purbecks and the ferry. That gave me a warm feeling that got me through the day.

I can remember going out for a ride after Dad died and hearing his voice encouraging me as I struggled through mud.

Finally, I went back to college and got my degree. I couldn't afford to upgrade my bike, still loved the Pioneer anyway, so put it in for a respray. I think my raving days influenced the decision to go for a red-tangerine fade.

After I graduated I didn't ride as much for several years, and the bike lived in the stairwell of my flat in Winchester among other places. At one point, our flatmate had a Breezer Storm.

In 2000, I went to work at Sun Microsystems, and heard about a group of blokes riding in local woods after work. A friendly bunch, they let me tag along on the Pioneer. It was a little rattly by then, the brakes didn't seem to work, and everyone else had suspension. I started to look around at other bikes that would be more suitable for conditions at Swinley (before they turned it into a BMX track).

That let to Planet-X Compo and then Tinbred ownership. I tend to keep my bikes a while, and the Tinbred saw service 'til I bought a Shand a few years ago.

But the Pioneer has stayed with me, in sheds, garages, under desks, in my Mum's summer house, under plastic sheeting and tarps.

When I look at its lines now, as it sits on the stand behind me awaiting parts, it seems to stand for everything I love about bikes and riding, and it contains my life story.

It's like I've been riding it for 30 years as life rolled by.

I have an amazing wife, who for my 50th birthday present gave me a card that read 'This card entitles you in your 50th year to one complete bike rebuild'.

So it's quite an emotional rebuild for me, which is why I treasure every step. Cleaning up the UN71 and the bb shell threads feel like spiritual acts.

I haven't ridden this bike for 20 years, and I can't wait until it's finished and I can ride it again. But I think I'll be disappointed in a way when this rebuild and restore phase is over.

Back