Mongoose Amplifier / AMP B2 1993 (??) - update 19-04-2011

RockiMtn":s7v1wk85 said:
:oops: sorry i took the 2nd/last one.

Haha, ok then :LOL: ....

If the OP posts in the wanted section (if he wants a brace, that is), then I'm sure someone has a spare one. Otherwise try contacting Brion LaBelle at AMP. They still keep loads and loads of spares. When I had my B3 I was able to completely replace almost every single component on the frame and forks :)

Shame my B3 got returned to the seller instead because he'd sold me a rickety old nail :roll:

I contacted AMP... they told me they don't have 'm anymore... :cry:

Perhaps the 'wanted section' is an option...

A small update...

Last week I finally found a NOS Ringlé H2O in silver and old enough, so no etched logo.. :D

...and a better shock... a Risse Racing Elroy... I don't like the color of it, but hey... it's original...

Does anybody know the exact year these dampers came on the market ?

Attachments

• Update (Risse + Ringlé) (1).JPG
    Update (Risse + Ringlé) (1).JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 2,422
  • Risse Racing Elroy.JPG
    Risse Racing Elroy.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 2,422
  • Ringlé H2O.JPG
    Ringlé H2O.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 2,422
that's the first i've seen an aftermarket shock for a B2 series. I know there were some for the B3s. How's it ride???

Yeah, have to agree I don't much fancy the colour. I'd be tempted to wrap it with something.

I didn't ride it yet.... just installed... perhaps this evening...

I did some other small updates (alu bolts) and just had it on my personel scale... Now it says 10.3kg (22.7lbs).

...near future bring some more alu bolts... by than I'll hang it on a proper scale, since 10.3kg sound a bit to light looking at the parts...

mvd1974":34648jyv said:
I didn't ride it yet.... just installed... perhaps this evening...

I did some other small updates (alu bolts) and just had it on my personel scale... Now it says 10.3kg (22.7lbs).

...near future bring some more alu bolts... by than I'll hang it on a proper scale, since 10.3kg sound a bit to light looking at the parts...

Did you happen to weigh the diff between the stock and new shock? Curious how much a change it is.

Can't remember exactly how much, but my Mongoose Amplifier was around 24lbs so if yours is actually down to 22.7, that's good!

RockiMtn":ytgkhbye said:
Did you happen to weigh the diff between the stock and new shock? Curious how much a change it is.

My kitchen scale is broken, so I didn't weigh is, but it feels like the new shock is half the weight of the old one.

Now I 'know' it's about 22.7lbs, I think can be under 22... still have to get an other BB. Now there is a UN92 (or something) in it. I want it replaced by a Ti one... that should take of another 5 oz.. Than some bolts to be swapped and other tubes + maybe other rims should do the trick... :LOL:

...but now first... get it in the woods....

mvd1974":1lba48e4 said:
Now I 'know' it's about 22.7lbs, I think can be under 22... still have to get an other BB. Now there is a UN92 (or something) in it. I want it replaced by a Ti one... that should take of another 5 oz.. Than some bolts to be swapped and other tubes + maybe other rims should do the trick... :LOL:

That's a super-clean build! :twisted:

Sub-22lbs shouldn't be a problem. I've managed to eke mine in under 22lbs with barends. The AMP damper is a solid performing unit if maintained properly, which is a pretty simple procedure, and if you're gunning for light weight it's still lighter than the Risse unit. I've utilized both on my AMP derivatives and have settled on the AMP unit over the Risse.

Did you ever get your hands on a proper brace for the rear end? It really will make a significant difference in the lateral rigidity of the frame.

Btw, I really like the decal set. ;)

If you have a brace for a B2 as a spare.... :D I would like to have one, but these things are really dificult to track down... if any exist without a frame attatched to it and with a nice price tack..

About the damper... Today I got a first try-out. The AMP spring can get tuned on the roll. That is a big advantage over the air spring on the Risse, but the damping is much better. And the weight... I took out the original AMP and helding in my hand I would say it is twice the weight of the Risse.

I'm not sure yet it I really want to built it into a fly weight since I also want to keep it period correct...

I've done weight tuning since '89 and you're right: It really is possible to built an ultra light weight bike with this frame. In the early 90's I had my Ibis built up with a total of 18lbs. I think if I really ame for it, it's possible to built this AMP into a bike weighing something like 20.... I think it over and post when I update towards the sub 21..

Back