Metric or what?

I can't be doing with it in Australia. Too much bloody metric. How tall am I? 5' bloody 10". Whaddya mean how tall am I in centimetres? Do I look like a dwarf?

Noticed recently that UK MTB magazines started putting bike weights in Kilos. Oi, NO! Bikes are weighed in lbs goddammit.

After nearly four years however, I can just about manage kilometres. :LOL:

This never occurred to me until recently, but imperial lives on because it's so much more useful for rough measurement. A foot is about the length of a man's foot, and a man's thumb joint is about an inch. Halve that measurement, then halve it again, and again, and again and you have 1/16 inch. True, it makes no sense if you just see a table with measurements in imperial and their metric equivalents, but it's much easier to see why they lived on if you think of it in the real world.

It does really bother me sometimes that we mix up metric & imperial, it would be SOOOOO much simpler to use one, and that's gotta be metric, it just makes more sense.

But of course it's hard to get past tradition. I drink pints. No other name would seem quite right. 550ml is just plain weird. it's a pint. The Aussies can keep their schooner, but I do like the way the Europeans do it. They order a beer. They know it will be 500ml ish, and aren't too bothered by what it's called.

But generally I think Imperial is antiquated & we really should move on! Not sure if this will go down on a retro forum, but the past IS the past, celebrate it, admire it, but leave it in the past! Having a crazy assortment of measuring systems is not helpful, it just confuses everybody.

Back