Saddles: which perch and why?

Nothing looks better than a Flite on a period bike, and I have them on all my bikes as they offer just the right amount of comfort. I originally used Turbo's in the late 80's but having tried one for a period on my turbo training bike it was too unforgiving. Vetta SL's quite nice too.

Not tried one of the latest modern cut away saddles, but I'm sure they are probably technically designed to offer greater comfort, though only suit modern bikes looks wise.

Have to agree with others, Flite for looks

But advancing years sent me looking for something plusher and I bought a Max Flite Gel Superflow. Not exactly light but for me it's super comfortable and it even looks a little like the OG.

Also have a modern-ish Trek and it has a Bontrager Arvada and I find that it's a nice place to perch yourself.

Never owned a Flite 🫣, but agree they look great.
I used Selle Italia Turbo Special when I was young.
As I did more road riding I moved onto Selle SMPs for a bit when o was doing longer rides.
now am very happy with Specialized saddles as my back is not as flexi as it used to be and I seem to have child bearing hips when measured up 🤷‍♂️, which Spesh look after. Less padding I find tends to be better as long as you have a saddle that works (within reason!).

Saddle fit depends on:
The rider's ar5e
The bike's riding position
Familiarity
Quality
Aesthetics😉

I could almost never swap a saddle from one of my Drop bar bikes to an mtb or flat/ riser bar one.

Drops, I love san Marco
Flat i love flite.

The charge saddle was excellent as a cheapish option - we sold loads, plenty of happy customers.

We sell Brooks too, and once in a while you'll get an earnest customer who really wants to love them, but gives up after a few thousand miles cos it's still not working for them.
And then you'll get others have literally ridden them round the world, till the rivets fell out.

I dont think they added a hipster tax at brooks though - I think it genuinely costs that much to make a saddle like that in the UK using victorian premises, methods and equipment.

They cost (from) a days work at the minimum wage.
Probably never been cheaper.

Nothing looks better than a Flite on a period bike, and I have them on all my bikes as they offer just the right amount of comfort. I originally used Turbo's in the late 80's but having tried one for a period on my turbo training bike it was too unforgiving. Vetta SL's quite nice too.

Not tried one of the latest modern cut away saddles, but I'm sure they are probably technically designed to offer greater comfort, though only suit modern bikes looks wise.
Tried a modern (2020) Syncros number a while back, expecting great things with how far ergonomic/anatomic studies have had a chance to evolve. Bloody awful, might've been OK on a road bike but the thing gave me chaffage like nothing else...

Latest posts

Back