Park race stand mods for modern rigs (BRING OUT YOUR STANDS…)

We always taught that for heavy work you loosen before you put it in the stand, so cranks, bb, pedals ger done on the floor then lifted into the stand for fine work.

I use my turbo trainer thing as a work stand and sit on a foot stool. It holds the bike steady for stubborn things and if it is in the middle of the room you can get all around it. Also great for setting things up under load before going out. For truing a front wheel i pop a chair back under the handlebars to get the wheel off the ground.

I bleed/adjust disc brakes with the bike the right way up, but lent against a wall rather than in a stand.

I'd love to be able to use a stand, but it seems very faffy. What do you do if you have a particularly recalcitrant BB for example? I can't imagine any stand having enough stabiity to cope with a bike undergoing significant persuading.
I used Kestrel stands at work, they were pretty stable under the most severe persuasion. Workshop stands in general are pretty sturdy bits of kit. There's a reason no bike shops just work on the floor. You all talk about the faff of a workstand, what about the faff of holding a back wheel up while you test gears, or mucking about with inverted gear shifters if the bike is upside down. Rejecting a workstand is a new level of backwards idiocy among the retro community.

I used Kestrel stands at work, they were pretty stable under the most severe persuasion. Workshop stands in general are pretty sturdy bits of kit. There's a reason no bike shops just work on the floor. You all talk about the faff of a workstand, what about the faff of holding a back wheel up while you test gears, or mucking about with inverted gear shifters if the bike is upside down. Rejecting a workstand is a new level of backwards idiocy among the retro community.
I guess money and space come into play. I am fortunate in having enough funds to buy good tools and enough space to have big kit like a work stand. Although…. I paid just 20 gbp for my Blackburn work stand (and others have spent less) - and around 150 for the Park Race Stand, which is not punitive. And both fold, so can go under the stairs or in a cupboard.

I agree with you, there’s a very good set of reasons for having a stand - not least protecting one’s spine; bending over to work for an hour or so on a bike can play havoc with your back.

I think this is a difference between work, hobby and utility. I'm not repairing bikes regularly - just doing what's necessary to keep them running. It's not work or even a hobby for me. I don't have expensive bikes, nearly all of them are workhorses, or at least I regard them as such.

I have no retro-inspired objection to workstands (I have a Lidl stand) - but I don't have the space to have one set up permanently so to use mine I have to pull it out of where I stored it, set up it (usually outside - and often in the pissing rain here in N. Wales ), set up bike on it it etc. There isn't a job that it adds value to at the moment because 9/10 times, I'm replacing a tube/pads, pumping up a tyre, oiling the chain, cleaning the bike etc - and not more than 3-4 times a month for max 15 mins at a time. I doubt I'm adjusting gears on my bikes more than 2-3 times a year.

All this said, I'm just building a new workshop so perhaps I will have space for a stand...although looking at the amount of stuff that has to go into it...

I think this is a difference between work, hobby and utility. I'm not repairing bikes regularly - just doing what's necessary to keep them running. It's not work or even a hobby for me. I don't have expensive bikes, nearly all of them are workhorses, or at least I regard them as such.

I have no retro-inspired objection to workstands (I have a Lidl stand) - but I don't have the space to have one set up permanently so to use mine I have to pull it out of where I stored it, set up it (usually outside - and often in the pissing rain here in N. Wales ), set up bike on it it etc. There isn't a job that it adds value to at the moment because 9/10 times, I'm replacing a tube/pads, pumping up a tyre, oiling the chain, cleaning the bike etc - and not more than 3-4 times a month for max 15 mins at a time. I doubt I'm adjusting gears on my bikes more than 2-3 times a year.

All this said, I'm just building a new workshop so perhaps I will have space for a stand...although looking at the amount of stuff that has to go into it...
Ah - ‘space.....the final frontier’

Just like n+1, the Law of Space in our house seems to be ‘any new space created will immediately be filled with Stuff..’

Latest posts

Back