Park race stand mods for modern rigs (BRING OUT YOUR STANDS…)

Above method is fine for retro bikes (well, apart from scuffing up your thumbshifter top caps) but crap for bleeding disk brakes or removing suspension lowers.
Got a 20 year old Park work stand that clamps the seat-post or top tube. Nearest modern one I can see is the PCS 4-2. Never liked the designs like that top picture (sorry 2manyoranges). Can't spin front wheel for adjusting brakes or headset.
Spot on.
I use the race stand for messing with transmission, cleaning and other jobs…and then switch to other stand for front end. I see this same switching at DH races with many teams having both styles of stand. I do have the luxury of some space to do that, albeit a bit cramped now that it’s full of biomass boiler.

Have always turned my bikes upside down, while working on gears or wheels/tyres and to build them up until the wheels are fitted, which is pretty much the final part apart from grips really.

I have a couple of nice stands, which I do use, mostly for storage as it keeps the bikes out of the way, a lot more hassle setting up and putting the bikes in then just flipping them, especially for little jobs.

In response to the OP i did recently buy a Tacx Team stand cheap, £15, which is quite nice, tilts and swivels 360deg which is good for moving it out the way when going by. The whole qr axle part slides out so you can fit bolt through axles in, not sure about length of actual bar though for longer frames, luckily I have no newer longer frames, looks like it will take the weight of heavier dh frames though.

tacx-spider-team-workstand.jpg

Have always turned my bikes upside down, while working on gears or wheels/tyres and to build them up until the wheels are fitted, which is pretty much the final part apart from grips really.

I have a couple of nice stands, which I do use, mostly for storage as it keeps the bikes out of the way, a lot more hassle setting up and putting the bikes in then just flipping them, especially for little jobs.

In response to the OP i did recently buy a Tacx Team stand cheap, £15, which is quite nice, tilts and swivels 360deg which is good for moving it out the way when going by. The whole qr axle part slides out so you can fit bolt through axles in, not sure about length of actual bar though for longer frames, luckily I have no newer longer frames, looks like it will take the weight of heavier dh frames though.

View attachment 760467

£15 o_O

Above method is fine for retro bikes (well, apart from scuffing up your thumbshifter top caps) but crap for bleeding disk brakes or removing suspension lowers.

I bleed/adjust disc brakes with the bike the right way up, but lent against a wall rather than in a stand.

I'd love to be able to use a stand, but it seems very faffy. What do you do if you have a particularly recalcitrant BB for example? I can't imagine any stand having enough stabiity to cope with a bike undergoing significant persuading.

I bleed/adjust disc brakes with the bike the right way up, but lent against a wall rather than in a stand.

I'd love to be able to use a stand, but it seems very faffy. What do you do if you have a particularly recalcitrant BB for example? I can't imagine any stand having enough stabiity to cope with a bike undergoing significant persuading.
Recently I had a BB that needed some persuasion to come out. I put the bike on its wheels for that.

I don't find a stand a faff. It would be ideal if it could have its own permanent place, but who has the space.

Leant against a wall!!!
I do not like my bar plugs scratched.
Oh no, Sir, I do not.

Love that Blackburn stand. It might be nearer 30 years old than 20? That formed the inspiration for a CDT bike stand project I designed & built...
Yes it’s a brilliant piece of design and really simple to manufacture - as the designer intended. They come up occasionally. I wish that they still made them. It‘s great that you based your design work around It. Imagine one in raw stainless…..yum.

Back