Marin Team Issue '92 Renovation - Help

gerryattrick

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Any ideas welcome please.

I have a Marin Team Issue frame in a nickel finish that I want to renovate. Unfortunately it has a fair bit of corrosion on the nickel in certain places (nothing structural luckily).

Ideally I would like to get it re-plated but I think that might be very expensive so I've thought of a compromise that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

My idea is to clean the good bits of the nickel (90% of the bike) and clean up and respray the other bits. This would have the benefit of also being in line with early Marin paint themes as well.

The diagram below is how I'd like to finish it.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ight=shows the bike as it is now.

Would nickel and black go OK, or would I be better with nickel and another colour, say purple to go with the Cook Bros cranks that I have with it?

Attachments

• Bicycle_Frame_Diagram.jpg
    Bicycle_Frame_Diagram.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 627
I like the idea of replicating the '92 paint scheme, but at the same time feel it would detract from its originality (big fan of the Team Issue :D ).

Would it be possible to rub down the rust , shine up the bare metal so it blends in and simply lacquer it? Just an idea, don't know if it would work at all.

marin reno

yes, right. the corrosion has attacked the nooks and crannies?

i see what you are getting at ray. look here, good vibes i get--->
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... dc2a5b6445
most components had a shiny aesthetic back then. the green team issue looks rather nice!
im not sure if nickel requires any special preperation prior to re-paint but, im backing your move here ;)

good luck mate. :cool:

Of course would nickel and black do allright.
I won't paint it purple. It's likely not to match the purple tone of your cranks.
Maybe nickel and black..and some purple splatters on the black?
This way the exact purple tone isn't that important and it would be in line with the early Marin paint themes but with an individual twist.
purple-paint-splatter-weird.jpg

MMmmm, team issue.

I loved min. Some scumbag relieved me of it. But I still have the original forks, headset & spare stickers! Mine was a '94 though.

Not sure I'll ever get around to replacing it :(

I would go for black. If it were me I wouldn't splatter finish it. I think it would look pollocks :D

I'm moving towards the black at the moment, but I might have a practice at splatter paint on an old bare frame to see if I can do it without making too much of a mess.

Bryan555 - If you do consider letting the transfers go let me know how much you'd want for them.

+1 for the black :cool:

Should look fine, with the advantage that the areas on the drawing should be easy and cheap to do with a spray can, and if you don't like it it'll be easy to strip

Show pics when it's finished

Back