Marin Team Issue, How do I clean the plated surface ?

ThePrivateer

Marin Fan
Dear fellow afflicted

I stumbled upon this old Marin recently.
It is one of the plated surface models. While it is in quite a good condition considering the age, I do like to clean/ restore the frames of my bikes.
In this case I am a bit afraid of doing more damage than good

.Is there a recommended way of removing rust spots without damaging the plating?
how do I conserve the metal afterwards?

As always: thank you for your advice!

Attachments

• IMG_0216.jpeg
    IMG_0216.jpeg
    743.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0218.jpeg
    IMG_0218.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0217.jpeg
    IMG_0217.jpeg
    630.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0214.jpeg
    IMG_0214.jpeg
    524.2 KB · Views: 31
Personally I don’t think the frame looks too bad. I would clean and degrease it well and just live with some patina - monitoring to ensure the rust doesn’t get materially worse.

If however you are determined to be more proactive..

You’ll have to remove the lacquer, I’m afraid - which means losing the decals too, for a consistent finish. You could use a paint stripper or just Spontex pads and GT85. Once the lacquer and rust is scrubbed off, Polish by hand with MAAS metal polish, re-apply new decals (Gil has these on file - but measure yours up before removing because I have a ‘94 Team Issue and his came up a little small). After that, either have a go with some spray lacquer, or use a rust inhibitor rubbed over the surface.

The result will probably be a little more silvery and shiny than the slightly greyer finish of your era frame - because you are polishing the nickel (I think the appropriate frame finish is more a semi brushed, if mine is anything to go by). That said, it will still look cool - and certainly a better finish than rust peppered.. Nickel is pretty tough and can generally take metal scouring pads and polish fairly well.. but remember that it is still just a coating, so once the lacquer and rust is gone and a Polish has been achieved, I would probably not keep polishing indefinitely - because you will eventually wear it away entirely!

Have fun..

Personally I don’t think the frame looks too bad. I would clean and degrease it well and just live with some patina - monitoring to ensure the rust doesn’t get materially worse.

If however you are determined to be more proactive..

You’ll have to remove the lacquer, I’m afraid - which means losing the decals too, for a consistent finish. You could use a paint stripper or just Spontex pads and GT85. Once the lacquer and rust is scrubbed off, Polish by hand with MAAS metal polish, re-apply new decals (Gil has these on file - but measure yours up before removing because I have a ‘94 Team Issue and his came up a little small). After that, either have a go with some spray lacquer, or use a rust inhibitor rubbed over the surface.

The result will probably be a little more silvery and shiny than the slightly greyer finish of your era frame - because you are polishing the nickel (I think the appropriate frame finish is more a semi brushed, if mine is anything to go by). That said, it will still look cool - and certainly a better finish than rust peppered.. Nickel is pretty tough and can generally take metal scouring pads and polish fairly well.. but remember that it is still just a coating, so once the lacquer and rust is gone and a Polish has been achieved, I would probably not keep polishing indefinitely - because you will eventually wear it away entirely!

Have fun..
I usually lean towards keeping it original and live with a bit of rust - and the frame really is still quite good. The spots have a bit of a brown halo around them - that I would like to remove. If it were a lacquered frame I would use a mild car polish and some wax afterwards. But it is good to know that metal polish would be an option too.
thank you!

Back