Marin Hawk Hill - need some help please

Ch1mp

Retro Newbie
Hi,

A friend of mine wants to do up an old MTB, I've built my own road and gravel bikes in the last few years but I've never built up a MTB. It's a Cromo Marin Hawk Hill, I'd like to turn it into a 1x10/11 by getting a used modern shimano partial groupset (crankset, cassette, rear deraillieur and a shifter) and some new wheels that'll take a shimano/sram 10/11 speed cassette. He only rides on the road, gravel roads etc. nothing technical so I was thinking a fixed steel fork too as the forks weigh a ton and he doesn't like the bounce when climbing out the saddle.

Can anyone help in confirming that all this is possible, what type of BB this bike might have, if I need to replace the headset with something modern to fit a new fixed fork, any advice etc.

Cheers, Tom.

IMG-20230607-WA0000.jpg IMG-20230607-WA0002.jpg IMG_20230603_200014.jpg IMG_20230603_200002.jpg IMG_20230603_173606.jpg IMG_20230603_173600.jpg IMG_20230603_173546.jpg IMG_20230603_173532.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230603_173532.jpg
    IMG_20230603_173532.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 0
As long as the headset works it'll be fine with another pair of forks. BB will probably be square taper or possibly Isis but if you are going modern it'll be as easy to get a hollow tech 2 bb and crank, unless you just replace the chain rings up front with one 10/11sp one.

To be honest, it the gears work there's very little point replacing them, you'll gain nothing. spend the money on some carbon forks and lighter tyres as that'll make more difference.

Build it. It’s a Hawk Hill, not a Team Ti. It’s not collectible or rare, just nice rugged steel frame.

I’m building a ‘94 Hawk Hill with the same intentions, so for the sake of this thread I’ll assume yours has the same 68mm BB and 1 1/8” headset. I’ve only been around the local school parking lot on mine because I’m waiting for 1 cantilever brake to arrive, but the ride is fantastic. It oozes practicality.

Go 1x10 as 11/12-speed cassettes won’t fit a 8-speed freehub, 11 tooth minimum for the cassette small gear, no 10 tooth.

Shimano Hollowtech II cranks are super easy to work with and fit everything English threaded. A good chainline can be achieved with simple spacers.

Use a “narrow wide” chainring to reduce chain skipping.

Use a clutch rear derailleur to reduce chain slap. You’ll also need a derailleur hanger extender.

Cantilever brakes suck but they look cool; canti’s for aesthetics, V-brakes for performance, Magura if your willing to spend. Make sure the levers are intended for the brakes you select.

Any 1 1/8” threadless headset will work. Cartridge bearings are easiest to work with.

Ok awesome, thanks for the help. So BB will be BSA English threaded, that's what I was hoping to go Hollowtech. Went from square taper to used modern Tiagra on my Gravel bike and love the new cranksets and BB's. I'll check out if it's a freehub with a cassette or a if it's shite wheels and a freewheel, if it's the former and a 10 speed cassette will go on then that saves some money.

So I'm looking for a threadless external 1 1/8" cartridge bearing headset?

Good tips with the spacers and the hanger extender, no way I'd have thought about that on my own!

Re brocklanders023 - he wants to get rid of the triple as he constantly fannies about with the front derailleur, I ran a triple for ages and adjusted right 3x8 was great. Something nice about the mechanical simplicity of 1 by though so I can see the point. I suggested carbon fork but he loves the steel frame hence wanting to do the bike up so he wants steel forks.

Thanks so much for the help, time to start looking for some used bits and bobs :D

Latest posts

Back