Got a (Ridgeback) Genesis Day 02 from 2007 I think for £2.50.. torn on what to do with it.

Lien-O

Retro Newbie
So, would you believe I got this from our local dump for the princely sum of £2.50? It's all there apart from the wheels and seat/seatpost. No biggie on the latter, have tons of those lying around, and a few 700c wheels I can throw on it. Component wise it's not bad, shimano throughout, tiagra derailleur, it's a triple which is kind of meh I guess but point is, it's not crap, component wise..

So all it needs is a damn good clean, plus a quick shop online for new cables and a cassette and a seat and off we go.. ok maybe a new BB and headset.

Unless..

I'm not really an MTB'er, I'm more of a roadie, and I'm really not a fan of flat bars. I want drops. I like drops. I'm used to drops. I enjoy drops. I do have a full 8 speed claris groupset all boxed up hidden away somewhere, it's not the best but.. I could throw some drop bars on the ridgeback and convert it to one of those knobbly tyred gravel-bike-themed mashups that seem popular at the moment? There's a lot of trails and roads around where I live that I don't want to take my carbon road bike down for obvious reasons, I've been eyeing up gravel bikes but with their cost the juice ain't worth the squeeze so a MTB to gravel bike conversion *does* appeal but.. maybe I should just do it with something less nice. Seems a shame to strip all the original components off this.

You could always keep the original components so it could be returned to original later. Or just sell them as they may be bought by others who need to replace parts on their bikes and are trying to keep the original spec.

Latest posts

Back