Kona Explosif Pro

dylan_bhafc":3jh9i864 said:
tiboltrider123":3jh9i864 said:
Easy_Rider":3jh9i864 said:
Kona Paul":3jh9i864 said:
I thought it was the Suntour groupset plus a ti seatpost and ti bar...or something like that.

Either way, it was mainly the component group that made it pro, much like the difference between a modern deluxe and supreme etc.

Front suspension too...?

I think, as the broucher says, it had lots of options including forks, bars, posts and colours. I remember a customer having a black one with P2s and the full XC Pro groupset. Groupset was junk though so the importer at the time (2nd Level Imports) paid to change it to XT.

It's got the suntour gears, is in black and got project two forks, apparently it had the suspension forks but the elastomer or whatever perrished so the guy at work chucked them away and bought the p2's!

So the groupset is junk then?

Bit harsh to say its junk! Maybe what was meant is that the price they were asking for it new didn't warrent the quality of the groupset, although it certainly wasn't a cheap groupset!!

So the groupset is junk then?[/quote]

The customer was into racing and the problem he had was with indexing and chainslip when even slightly dirty. We tried different chain and blocks with no success. I think you should ask other retrobikers for their opinion as I've never owned any xc pro myself (I was a mechanic in a bike shop about 15 years ago!) It may not be that bad if you don't race it and treat it with a bit of respect!

tiboltrider123":129na8ca said:
Yep! :cool: Agree with EasyRider!
But if you look on the specifications page, you will see that it could be ordered either with XC Pro as listed, or with DX, or with XT, or with XTR. Which is why I said the equipment was custom. The concept 'custom' includes the concept 'XC Pro'.
http://www.konaretro.com/articles/catal ... 2Page8.jpg

Dylan, if the one you're looking at is black, I'd say it's worth no more than a standard Explosif - i.e., about 4-5 Albion tickets for the frame, 8-10 Albion tickets for the bike.

Note that I've labelled both of the coloured examples below as 1991. That's because they both have frame features characteristic of 1991 frames, but the blue one has the rear brake booster that was only on 1992 bikes. The only '1992' Explosif Pros that I've seen have frames that look like 91 frames, so my little theory is that maybe they used a batch of unsold 91 frames for at least some of the 92 Explosif Pros. Those measurements could be evidence for or against this little theory.

Attachments

• 1991 Explosif Pro size 19 rasta.jpg
    1991 Explosif Pro size 19 rasta.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,476
  • 1991 Explosif Pro size 19.jpg
    1991 Explosif Pro size 19.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,476
Easy_Rider":r973r02l said:
Kona Paul":r973r02l said:
I thought it was the Suntour groupset plus a ti seatpost and ti bar...or something like that.

Either way, it was mainly the component group that made it pro, much like the difference between a modern deluxe and supreme etc.

Front suspension too...?
Not on a 92 Explosif. Pre-suspension adjusted frame and P2 fork I would imagine.

What is an Albion ticket?

Kona Paul":uzos38mw said:
Easy_Rider":uzos38mw said:
Kona Paul":uzos38mw said:

Front suspension too...?
Not on a 92 Explosif. Pre-suspension adjusted frame and P2 fork I would imagine.

What is an Albion ticket?

It's pictured with suspension in the scan above....

Just to add, it does have the brake booster at the back and from how he described the forks that were on the bike they sound very much like the ones in the scanned pic of a pro

Easy_Rider":s7o0p5it said:
Kona Paul":s7o0p5it said:
Easy_Rider":s7o0p5it said:
Front suspension too...?
It's pictured with suspension in the scan above....
That's true, but it was at around this point that designers began to realise that fitting 42cm forks like that (not all that many of which were made incidentally, but that's another story) wasn't all that good an idea if the geometry was effective for a 39cm P2. Kona frames went 'suspension-adjusted' (and P2s went to 41cm) in 1994.

:( It seems that my special interest and questions about the bike have casued the guy to reconsider selling and is now no longer for sale :(

The search goes on!

Back