Kestrel CSX sub 20lb build

My_Teenage_Self":19zh078b said:
Tomianson":19zh078b said:
Wheels!

I'm awaiting another pair to come in but here is first option for a wheelset.

A lovely condition Suntour XC Pro Greasegaurd hubs on Specialized TXL21 rims, 32 hole. I believe these are the same wheels as on Ned Overends 92 M2 S-Works so a fairly decent pair of wheels.

Front weighs in at 852g and the rear 1086g (the attached cassette weighs 231g according to the Suntour catalogue). I took out the skewers before weighing.

I think thats a pretty light pair of wheels, but has anyone here got a similar year pair of wheels they can compare with these weights? What counts as light, super light, heavy etc.

If you're happy for me to keep spamming your thread... (PM me if you want me to shut up!!)

Those aren't light weight wheels. They're good wheels, and should take a thrashing, but not light.

Rear Wheel;

Front Wheel;

Cassette;

You won't get much better with the shifters though, only Gripshift x-rays were lighter, and not by much.

Also bear in mind, my aims were a bit tighter than yours, in that I wanted front suspension too (and Maguras by the end) so that gives you a few hundred grams to play with, but that's not MUCH really...

Feel free to keep adding stuff to the thread, I’m very happy to have feedback. Thanks for showing the weight of your wheels, that puts mine in perspective. I’ve got a pair of Nukeproof carbon/campagnolo Atek wheels coming, I’ll see what they come in at. But clearly I can shed at least a few hundred grams with lighter wheels. That’s some saving.
Thanks
T

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've a set of Atek on my Lotus, they're lovely. I *THINK* when I was looking Nukeproof were very light hubs, and Atek were around 400g, so could be a lovely set of light wheels.

I went the whole hog and went for DT revolution spokes and Alloy nipples for about 100g saving over double butted.

Tomianson":1m805els said:
Feel free to keep adding stuff to the thread, I’m very happy to have feedback. Thanks for showing the weight of your wheels, that puts mine in perspective. I’ve got a pair of Nukeproof carbon/campagnolo Atek wheels coming, I’ll see what they come in at. But clearly I can shed at least a few hundred grams with lighter wheels. That’s some saving.
Thanks
T

I have a pair of Campag Stheno rims with Carbon Nukeproofs and Ritchey 1.7 Z-Max on my Marin IFT. Just checking the '92 Campag rim catalogue in the archive shows that a Stheno rim is a mere 16grams heavier than an Atek (excluding eyelets), so you'll have a marginal gain there! I've never weighed my wheelset but am happy/intrigued to do so. I'm not sure what tubes or spokes I've got.

Edit. I may have Ateks afterall - I think I'm getting my bikes mixed up!

Once A Hero":3ux4sloe said:
Tomianson":3ux4sloe said:
Thanks
T

I have a pair of Campag Stheno rims with Carbon Nukeproofs and Ritchey 1.7 Z-Max on my Marin IFT. Just checking the '92 Campag rim catalogue in the archive shows that a Stheno rim is a mere 16grams heavier than an Atek (excluding eyelets), so you'll have a marginal gain there! I've never weighed my wheelset but am happy/intrigued to do so. I'm not sure what tubes or spokes I've got.

Edit. I may have Ateks afterall - I think I'm getting my bikes mixed up!

Brilliant, if you are able to weigh them that would be really interesting. ideally without cassette, tyres, skewers etc. How do you find the Nukeproof hubs, are they fragile or ok?

Some more kit has just arrived and its all pretty lovely and very light.

Flite Evolution 2 Saddle, NOS. Gorgeous and matches the handlebars well, but so lovely i may hold it in reserve depending on how tight the 20lb weight limit gets. Scales say 117g, the saddle says 99g. BUT this saddle still has the paper leaflet and plastic seal attached so i think 99g is correct.

A gorgeous Panaracer Smoke Compe Lite 26 x 1.9 comes in at 500g (assuming 2g for the rubber band) apposed to a standard Smoke at 580g.

The wheels. After weighing my XC Pro wheelset, I've learned they're good wheels but not that light. Here's a stunning pair of Nukeproof Carbon hubs on Campagnolo Atek rims, with DT Swiss double butted spokes. Considerably lighter at 733g front and 886g rear. Thats a 319g saving over the XC pro wheels. Very lovely, but like the saddle i might keep them in reserve for extra weight gains if i need it, i do want to be able to ride this after all and the XC Pro wheels are much tougher.

Attachments

• foto_no_exif-11 copy 2.jpg
    foto_no_exif-11 copy 2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 822
  • foto_no_exif-11 copy 3.jpg
    foto_no_exif-11 copy 3.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 821
  • foto_no_exif-11 copy.jpg
    foto_no_exif-11 copy.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 823
  • foto_no_exif-11.jpg
    foto_no_exif-11.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 823
Re:

Nice wheels! ;)
No need for me to weigh mine now - though I might do it just for the hell of it in case they are lighter in silver and with Sapim spokes/nipples! Also curious what my Z-Max tyres weigh.
You may want to have a look at my Marin build (see signature) as some of the build parts are similar to yours, though I wasn't aiming for a sub 20lbs build.

Nuke & Atek are sex. Had a pair on my Klein BITD. That was 20LB You should get under easy.

Back