Kestrel CSX sub 20lb build

Re: Re:

1552":19kp3hs3 said:
Mint!
Great job Tom, have you had a chance to take it for a spin?

Not yet, hoping for better weather tomorrow so i can take it out for a brief shakedown ride.

Re:

Looks awesome, Tom. I’ve got Ian’s old black one and can’t decide whether to keep it or not. I did a mock build with White Industries cranks and hubs and it looked awesome. They came from my Gary Fisher Pro Caliber frame which I sold last year ( and have regretted ever since). That was by far the lightest retro frame I’ve ever had at an amazing 1400g for an 18” frame.

A 19” Orange Vit T2 ran it very close at 1455g and a Marin Team Ti at 1580g. My 17” Bonty Ti Lite is 1665, and the lightest steel an 18” Indy Fab Steel Deluxe at 1770g vs 1900 for a “M” Yo Eddy and 1880g for a Dekerf

Most disappointingly heavy were 2098g for my Formula One hardtail and 1920g for a Scott Endorphin.

In my experience the best way to make a retro mtb ride lite is to fit tubeless tyres.

I’ve got a whole notebook if bike part weights.....

All change here. A good dose of procrastination has made me decide to rebuild the Kestrel. I never managed to really click with the XC Pro, from a functional, tactile or aesthetic point of view.
So as of tomorrow I'll strip it down and I'll rebuild it with a decent usable XTR group. I'll post finished pictures when its down, but it should be top banana.
For me M900 is so dependable, beautiful, classical and so so good. It just works.

So there you go, out with the XC Pro and in the the XTR.

Tomianson":2fnjxu2y said:
All change here. A good dose of procrastination has made me decide to rebuild the Kestrel. I never managed to really click with the XC Pro, from a functional, tactile or aesthetic point of view.
So as of tomorrow I'll strip it down and I'll rebuild it with a decent usable XTR group. I'll post finished pictures when its down, but it should be top banana.
For me M900 is so dependable, beautiful, classical and so so good. It just works.

I know what you mean.
Every now and then I contemplate a Suntour build - but never go ahead with it.
I was thinking about groupset diversity in my collection the other day, and all of my bikes have primarily Shimano groupsets. It just works.

Once A Hero":9408b10y said:
Tomianson":9408b10y said:

I know what you mean.
Every now and then I contemplate a Suntour build - but never go ahead with it.
I was thinking about groupset diversity in my collection the other day, and all of my bikes have primarily Shimano groupsets. It just works.

It does just work. Don't get me wrong, XC Pro is lovely, its just not got that special feel to me that XTR does. And i seem to be able to set up XTr really easily.

Rebuild complete with full XTR now. Much cleaner looks and it appears to work much better too. I love it.
New spec as follows:

Spec as follows:

Kestrel CSX frame with original steel fork.
Ritchey Logic Headset with Ritchey Cable Hanger

Fat Bottom Titanium stem
Kestrel Kevlar Handlebar
Suntour Xc Pro Brake levers
Shimano XTR M900 shifter/brake levers

Syncros titanium Seatpost
Flite titanium Saddle (Repro)

Shimano XTR M900 crankset
Shimano BB Un-91 bottom bracket
Shimano XTR M900 Front and Rear Mech.
Crank Bros Egg Beater pedals (modern but what i like to use)

Shimano XTr M900 hubs and skewers
Ritchey Vantage Comp Rims
Panaracer Smoke/Dart Tyres

Shimano XTR M900 cantilever brakes
Shimano XTR M900 cables and housing

Overall weight as it stands 21.9 lbs

So XTR M900 appears to be a chunk lighter than Suntour XC Pro.

This bike is so pretty now, so clean and simple.

Attachments

• foto_no_exif-15.jpg
    foto_no_exif-15.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 325
  • 33CDD917-D581-46FB-8941-01318B030D48.jpeg
    33CDD917-D581-46FB-8941-01318B030D48.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 300
  • E8C04CAF-D318-4D9E-A399-9BA8D435CEA2.jpeg
    E8C04CAF-D318-4D9E-A399-9BA8D435CEA2.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 300
Hi Tomianson, very nice CSX. I just got a CSX frame myself, and I'll do a build post on it soon, but I'm still collecting parts. Any idea what bb spindle length I'll need? Obviously in part depends on the q factor of my cranks (Race Face turbine), which I don't know. I can measure the shell width on the frame (68mm) easily enough, but spindle length is more tricky. Any info appreciated!

Back