Kestrel CSX build

Pedals....trying something new (both in terms of my experience with these pedals [none] and their provenance [brand new models]). Look X-Track Race Carbon/Ti. Bonus that the ti spindle is gold ano.

IMG_20230421_163033_782.jpg

IMG_20230421_170250_999.jpg

IMG_20230421_170403_633.jpg

Now mounting a NOS Shimano Deore XT FD-M735 (bottom pull with 34.9 standard clamp). We'll see how this goes once cabled and chained....it might be because I'm running microdrive chainrings and that the big ring is on the smaller side (44t), but I'm used to mounting the derailleur such that the guide is closer to the chainrings (supposed to be just a few mm above the outer ring). The bottom water bottle braze-on doesn't allow the derailleur to be that close. If I mount it below the bottom braze-on, the derailleur it too low, but mounted as I've done just above the bottom braze-on puts the derailleur a little on the high side. Perfect elevation looks to be right where the braze-on is. We'll wait and see...

IMG_20230423_135937_388.jpg

IMG_20230423_171334_909.jpg

And now shifters, grips, brake levers, and bar ends go in the cockpit. NOS Shimano Deore SL-MT62 thumbies, the KCNC levers, Oury lock-on grips, and a very nice set of carbon Onza shorty bar ends, courtesy of @racer x ! I've ordered some die-cut deep red onza decals for these, should be here shortly and should tie together the "red and carbon" theme.

IMG_20230423_163819_849.jpg

IMG_20230423_171317_511.jpg

damn! this is looking super cool. can't wait to hear how it rides.
You're telling me! I've never really ridden carbon. I can clearly recall a memory of a guy with a red CSX, much like this one, riding around in Santa Cruz in the 90s. He shifted gears, and it was this very mechanical, precise "thunk", rather than the ringy metallic sound of gear shifting on a metal frame. Very distinctive, and all I could think was "man, those carbon frames are so tight!"

OK, finally an update (and finalization!) on this build. It has been an insane year for work, so haven't had a lot of time to finish builds, but finally got this one done. Only problem is that in my rush to get this done I haven't taken many pics of the remaining progress. Well, let's get this done then:

Applied the Kestrel chainstay protector decal and the red Onza decals on the bar ends, and cabled up with NOS Gore Ride-On cables and housing. Threw on a few of the Gore decals on the seatstays on the seat tube for fun.

NOS CN-HG91 for the drive train:

IMG_20230709_142637_065.jpg

Latest posts

Back