Kestrel CSX sub 20lb build

My_Teenage_Self":1ybg1h23 said:
Tomianson":1ybg1h23 said:
My_Teenage_Self":1ybg1h23 said:
OOOoooooo... A carbon weight weenie build!!!!

Is the target of 20lb a 'Nice if i can' or a 'Must at any cost'? Full retro?

you'll need to scrutinise the weight of EVERY part.

:)

Every part will be scrutinised for sure. And aiming for must at any cost but we’ll see how it progresses. Napkin paper maths says it should be fairly achievable.

Oh, it's achievable... You've seen my Trek, Right? I got a bit obsessed in the end but I'm very happy with the outcome.

But, some bits can catch you out unexpectedly, wheels in particular, saddles, seatposts... and some of the lightweight kit I had was simply awful to use. The suntour XC pro mechs are among the lightest of the period (lighter than XTR) but you'll probably save a bunch of weight by ditching the cranks and BB.

Thinking of ditching the cranks and bb, but its a micro drive set up currently. If i swap the cranks, do i need to keep the rings from the XC Pro crank to put onto the new crank?

Tomianson said:
Thinking of ditching the cranks and bb, but its a micro drive set up currently. If i swap the cranks, do i need to keep the rings from the XC Pro crank to put onto the new crank?

You might struggle to use the chainrings on other cranks, as I believe that the small ring is an unusual BCD, while the larger rings are the same as most other compact cranks (94 BCD). The reality is that you can use pretty much whatever cranks & rings you want.

My_Teenage_Self":wiuvqjx7 said:
Tomianson said:

You might struggle to use the chainrings on other cranks, as I believe that the small ring is an unusual BCD, while the larger rings are the same as most other compact cranks (94 BCD). The reality is that you can use pretty much whatever cranks & rings you want.
[/quote]

Brilliant, thanks, that makes it a bit easier.

Hunting around at bits whilst i await some major bits, including the frame to arrive; I'm looking for easy weight saving initially for not too much £££

Here's a good one. Continental Supersonic inner tubes, only £9 each and 100g apiece. Standard inner tubes are around 160-190g apiece, so theres an easy 120g to 180g saving overall just by buying good tubes. Thats nearly 0.4lb's saved. I'll be ordering some as soon as wheels and tyres arrive.

Nah.

Challenge yourself! No modern! Air Bs are retro and pretty light...

:)

If it's just for the experience of riding a super-light bike, go for it, but there's a satisfaction in knowing that it's all period too.

Wheels!

I'm awaiting another pair to come in but here is first option for a wheelset.

A lovely condition Suntour XC Pro Greasegaurd hubs on Specialized TXL21 rims, 32 hole. I believe these are the same wheels as on Ned Overends 92 M2 S-Works so a fairly decent pair of wheels.

Front weighs in at 852g and the rear 1086g (the attached cassette weighs 231g according to the Suntour catalogue). I took out the skewers before weighing.

I think thats a pretty light pair of wheels, but has anyone here got a similar year pair of wheels they can compare with these weights? What counts as light, super light, heavy etc.

Attachments

• IMG_4271.jpg
    IMG_4271.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_4270.jpg
    IMG_4270.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_4269.jpg
    IMG_4269.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 689
The Suntour XC Pro 7 speed thumb shifters come in at a paltry 152g for the pair. 149g according to the catalogue, i uses theres 3g of grease in there.

Attachments

• IMG_4272.jpg
    IMG_4272.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 685
Tomianson":2ez3iok1 said:
Wheels!

I'm awaiting another pair to come in but here is first option for a wheelset.

A lovely condition Suntour XC Pro Greasegaurd hubs on Specialized TXL21 rims, 32 hole. I believe these are the same wheels as on Ned Overends 92 M2 S-Works so a fairly decent pair of wheels.

Front weighs in at 852g and the rear 1086g (the attached cassette weighs 231g according to the Suntour catalogue). I took out the skewers before weighing.

I think thats a pretty light pair of wheels, but has anyone here got a similar year pair of wheels they can compare with these weights? What counts as light, super light, heavy etc.

If you're happy for me to keep spamming your thread... (PM me if you want me to shut up!!)

Those aren't light weight wheels. They're good wheels, and should take a thrashing, but not light.

Rear Wheel;

Front Wheel;

Cassette;

You won't get much better with the shifters though, only Gripshift x-rays were lighter, and not by much.

Also bear in mind, my aims were a bit tighter than yours, in that I wanted front suspension too (and Maguras by the end) so that gives you a few hundred grams to play with, but that's not MUCH really...

Attachments

• Rear wheel weight.jpg
    Rear wheel weight.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 667
  • Front wheel weight.jpg
    Front wheel weight.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 667
  • Goldtec cassette weight.JPG
    Goldtec cassette weight.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 667
  • Rear end.jpg
    Rear end.jpg