Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find - * small update page 14

Re: Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find - * small update page 6

Great to see again.

Out the other weekend with Brian for a last ride together for a while as Brian needs to head back to Oz for 3 maybe even 6 months for family.
We decided to get one more ride in before he goes and with the rain lashing down in the morning it was a late start around midday and headed out from Contin headed along the quiet singletrack roads out to Loch Meig and then back on the western side through Marybank, before crossing the river again and heading back to Contin.
Another great day out and a lovely ride on the Jack Taylor but after this will be changed a bit more to my style for the couple of Jack taylor rides on the bank holiday weekend.

Jamie

IMG_1614 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1618 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1638 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1641 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1648 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1650 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1654 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1658 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1664 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Had spent a couple of hours over the weekend mucking about with the Jack Taylor as have been wanting to change things about for a while, just to make it a bit nicer ride.
Had been putting a few things aside over time for it and with having the Jack Taylor rides coming up next weekend down south I thought I better get my finger out. Not a lot of time as work has been brain zapping with some changes going on so not really motivated the last two nights but needed to get it at least rideable.
I was putting my Arabesque changers and rear derailleur on and while 6 six speed I was hoping that with the long cage mech and both being friction shifting that it would make the jump to 7. Unfortunately not, oh well 6 it is for now. I had straightened/tweeked and refurbed the original wheels (MA2) and fitted some Jack Brown tyres from Planet X. These are made by Panaracer and are the old Rivendall Jack blacks that Planet X bought the moulds. They are 700 x 33.5 and due to the clearances on the JT they fit perfectly even with mudguards. They are a slightly higher than normal volume but are very supple and feel great to ride on. A real bastard to fit though as they are so tight.
I also fitted my Nitto B36 randonneur bars, Nitto stem and fitted the non aero Mafac levers. Need another ride tomorrow to adjust the fit again to make sure before taping the bars. I was going to go with the brown tape that I had on before but now thinking I may try the white I have in the box.
Only took it for a very short ride tonight as I was late in again and had to finish cabling up the brakes and fitting the levers but it felt really nice. Very different as a lot of things have changed but a lot must be down to the tyres. It felt great before, one of my favourite rides if not the, favourite but now its just got a bit more fitted how I like. Need to leave on Friday night so I will probably just adjust and tape the bars tomorrow and that will do for the weekends rides.
Later I will most likely change out the Arabesque back to something 7 speed and also swap the Dura Ace chainset for the Stronglight triple I have.
Just thought I would share.

Jamie

IMG_1773 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1765 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1766 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1767 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1770 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1772 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1775 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re: Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find - * small update page 7

Hurrahs!!!!! :D

At last, I knew you could do it, some had lost faith but I never did! ;)

Ps handlebar/hood/lever combo looks great.... how about black tape to complement the black mudguards?

Yeah, not sure on the tape. I do have white, not so bright white with bits of cork fleck in it and the brown. the brown may not go with the hoods but I have a few different Mafac levers and hoods in brown and black. Then again, they may look good with the Mafac half hoods in red with white tape? Not for the weekend though :)
I always knew I would make a start on it at some stage but really it is only due to having the Jack Taylor rides this coming weekend that I wanted it to be a bit more of how I envisaged it, more for me than anyone else. It feels good so far.
I just haven't had much time as I was away for a couple of days at the end of last week with Caleb. We went to Orkney for an overnighter on the Cargo bike and when I returned home my freshly painted King of Mercia was waiting for me :)
Still some way to go but it is a real pleasure to ride and this setup just feels better again.

Jamie

Very, very nice, the changes do the bike justice. Always great to see a Jack Taylor.

Finally got the Super Clubman finished on the Thursday night and loaded into the van ready to leave straight from work on Friday to head to Perth for the first part of the journey down to Swainby for the Jack Taylor Facebook group and VVCC meeting on the Sunday and Monday of the bank holiday weekend.
Will write up elsewhere about the weekend. other than to say it was a great couple of days and well worth the trek down. Weather was great, rides were great and the people friendly and so welcoming. Spent Sunday morning enjoying chatting with Ken Taylor, who has some really great tales as you can imagine. More than happy to talk about frame designs and why and how they did this and did that, but above all else a real gentleman.
My Super Clubman ran really well with the upgrades which I was more than pleased with as when I fitted the Arabesque rear mech and shifters, I thought, just maybe, putting on the long cage rear mech and the friction shifters I just might be able to make it shift the seven speeds instead of six. No chance, just wont shift onto the out small gear, which is fine, could have been worse and not shifted onto the biggest ;) Otherwise it shifted faultlessly. I was also really impressed with the Jack Brown tyres from Planet X. They are the old Rivendall Jack Browns that they bought the moulds or rights from Panaracer but are made exactly the same compound. They are really supple tyres and these ones are 700 x 33.5 and they soak up all of the rough farm roads laneways we rode. Really nice. I ended up putting the cork/white bar tape on and it was pretty comfortable with the new bars and the old Mafac levers now fitted. Thankfully everything was in the right spot and was working and comfortable throughout the ride. Well happy and while still maybe needing to change the shifters no to at least get the 7 speed back and maybe fit the Stronglight triple, it is much more riding how I prefer it. All coming together :)
I did also pick up a frame on my way south that I had purchased a while back and had been waiting in Durham for me coming this weekend. It's a 1963 JT Sport which for reasons we haven't been able to uncover completely was partially built then put in a loft in about 1963/4 and had been moved once and then forgotten about until a few months back. Blue and Canary yellow and looks like it was painted yesterday. ….but that's a story for another day. except to say that Ken signed the back of it's seat tube on the yellow band with his trademark ' Have a nice ride'

Jamie

IMG_1865 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1870 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Absolutely superb!
Will you lacquer over the signature? If you do may I suggest very light layers starting with a few dusting coats, you don’t want that ink running! (Sorry if that’s teaching you to suck eggs Jamie)

No not at all, all advice appreciated.
I will lacquer over it as it's only sharpie so just thought I would mask the strip out and then give it a couple of coats. You reckon just very light dusting for each one?
Ken is renown for writing this on the inside of all the bike boxes when they were shipped and also on the receipts.

Its a lovely frame and in amazing condition for 1963. Only the 531 decal has dried and cracked as it wasn't cleared over. Was found in a bin bag when clearing the mother in laws loft.

Jamie

zz by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

13 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

4 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

1 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Back