Jack Taylor Super Tourist - unused

I've been going down a Jack Taylor wormhole lately, mostly through http://www.blackbirdsf.org/taylor/

Looks like they carried on using older tubes/ tubing badges post Jack's retirement. Did Ken indicate it could be one of his and Norman's frames? It has two bottle cage mounts for instance, which seems to mark it as later.

As a JT owner I find them fascinating, probably the most interesting of the English Frame Builders, with their unique ability to pick the best of say what the French were doing, while being happy to merge it with their own ideas, the Italians and so on. Our tandem is so well balanced it feels much lighter than it's 46lbs.
Hi Tommy
I am really sorry for such a late reply.
This is one of Normans later built frames. After the works closed officially. It did take a while to try and find a frame number on it. When we did find what was a number, it was quite curious as it would have made it a 1940's if read right, which obviously it wasn't. Ken had a good look and recognised it and was pleased it had found some daylight but was amazed at it's condition. this was when my good friend Dean had it. I was a bit wary at first due to the frame number but Ken's positivity and validation towards it put my mind at rest. Though I was told by Dean to 'take it home and pay him whenever', It didn't seem the honourable thing to do so I declined. Dean said he knew what would happen anyway as he would take it out to Macau with him and the six months later I would ask if he had the frame still and then I would have to pay to ship it back. It took all my will power not to message him over the next couple of years. Though a couple of years after this he was back over and visiting with us and we were sorting some of his collection he had with him to sell, when he said, the Jack Taylors in the van, you better take it this time. Turns out he never took it back to Macau and had been in his storage here in the UK because he knew I would want it eventually :)

Jamie

Back