1993 Mercian King of Mercia - Road Geometry - MKII

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Well a pretty driech day here today but I managed to get down to Brians and while the weather sort of dissuaded us from riding but we did make a car journey over to the other side of Inverness to pick up a bike, minus wheels that I had organised earlier in the week.

Perfect size, and complements my other King of Mercia nicely with this one being 653 like my tourer. This is road geometry King of Mercia and is due to be converted to 650b to allow slightly wider tyres. Besides it was a bargain as when I originally enquired about it, it was already a great price, and then the guy who was selling it said he needed the wheels for another project, I said that was fine as I wanted to try and convert to 650b and was there any adjustment on the price? He then almost halved what was a good deal anyway so I said I would take it. He held onto it until I was down at Brians and could go pick it up. When we got there it was far better condition than I was expecting so was well pleased. ;)
I got home and dropped my other Mercian wheels in to see if there were any surprises and no, all was as smooth. So this will join the project Que.
It is 653 tubing, 21" square, two bottle cage with rack and mudgaurd fittings, 105 shifters, crank, derailleurs, with Miche brakes and levers and a nice Mercian stamped Tange headset. This was the guys fathers bike but was too small for him so was moving it on. He did know it was on the cheap side but wanted it gone and also to a good home if possible, so I will do my best.
Will strip it, deep clean it and regrease it next weekend hopefully. Then we will see where we are up to with components etc. I have new bar tape and a saddle put aside already for it.
I really like the colour and is what drew me to it, others not so much.
After selling my other green road geometry King of Mercia I often regretted it and wished I had been able to hold on to it just to see about converting to 650b to allow a slightly wider tyre. So now I am lucky enough to be able to have another King of Mercia and also thankful it was a very good price which is what allowed me to do it.

Here are a few photos from when I got home Sunday night and dropped the wheels off my other Mercian in.

Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

More to come

Last edited:
Well a busy couple of weeks at work but I managed to do a bit of fettling getting the newer Mercian cleaned and change of saddle etc, fitted the old Mercians wheels just to see how it would come up. Not bad actually and was well pleased. I will probably strip it right down now and it will wait until other projects are finished and I have some 650b wheels for it.
Bar tap is half white faux leather and the black is actually duct tape over a thick layer of what feels and looks like laminate floor insulation. Strange.
Cleaned up nicely though. Everything is free and not seized, which is always good.

Jamie

Looks ace.

Reminds me i need to get on with this. Its a time trial frame built in '96 that's been sat in the loft for 3 years. As its not lugged its fillet brazed I'm thinking of getting it sprayed by Mercian in a single colour and buying replica decals. I might keep how it is but i'm not a fan of yellow.

Thinking of cream enamel [19] with brown saddle, brown bar tape and skinwall tires. Group 6500 Ultegra.

49132316853_a23489005c_z.jpg

colour-chart-cover1-1024x576.jpg

colour-chart-2-1024x576.jpg

colour-chart-3-1024x576.jpg

colour-chart-4-crop-e1589374467843.jpg

Back