Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find - * small update page 14

Wow, it has been a while since I last posted a JT ride but don't worry as it is still my go to classic and gets used regularly :)

Yesterday was a nice day up here in the north of Scotland, the first nice weekend for many. I was due to head down for a ride with Brian on the Black Isle but a few chores before I left meant I would really be pushing it for time and also daylight. The pin was pulled and the ride cancelled as it would mean about a 5 hour round trip for about an hour and half ride. So as thought where do I head locally that I haven't been for a while?
I decided to head out Westerdale/Loch More direction and see where I end up, should keep me occupied for a good couple of hours and still leave time to get home and do something with Caleb when he gets in.
It was once again a nice enjoyable ride out into the flow country, sunny to begin with though with a very strong headwind from the southwest. I figured I would feel the benefit on the run back.
Well, what started out sunny and clear soon started getting darker and more threatening by the mile. The wind was bringing in clouds and rain with it. I did manage to get out to the dam and pushing on just after on the gravel sections wasn't the best due to rain the previous night, so it was only a mile or so off road this time. No big disappointment as I had already had a couple of drops of rain and could feel the moisture in the air so the decision to head back was taken before this anyway.
So, another enjoyable ride out on the Super Clubman. This is my go to classic and I really love the ride, though I do find it demotivates me to build anything else, it just does it all.
This is a similar run to the one above and you can see the difference in season, even without the off road sections.

Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

No hiding from the weather out here

Lovely. And who thought that a bike could be such a show stealer. We soft southerners might be intimidated by your landscapes Jamie, but the sight of your JT softens and humanises them.

After a busy morning that was pretty rubbish weather wise, this afternoon burst through with the first real sunshine and clearish skies so far this year. There was minimal wind and the temp was around 4 degree. So it was decided not to miss this rare winter opportunity and get out for a nice ride. A late afternoon local loop seemed just thing and what better machine could there ever be than the Jack Taylor Super Clubman? The roads were still damp and quite wet in a few places but that is normal for this time of year if not good. While I have been out on the Pugsley fatbike in the snow since Christmas this really was the first chance to get back on the road properly rather than commute. Since mid December I have also had a couple of weeks not riding due to not being well so it made this ride feel even better. It was just a nice steady pace round a local loop with minimal traffic keeping my legs rolling.
Very nice it was too and ended up being out longer and going further than planned. Afterward the JT was washed down and put away ready for the next ride which hopefully wont be too far away.

Jamie

Last Saturday 1st April seen me heading south to meet up with my usual randonneuring and general cycling wingman, Brian or, epicyclo on here, for a ride out round his area of Easter Ross. I needed to get to a local shop to buy some tubeless tape which gave us a good excuse to visit Orange Cycles in Muir of Ord. A plan was hatched to ride out from Dingwall up the hills towards Inverness before heading west on some well used roads to come in to Muir of Ord from the Beauly side. Here we would see the shop, have a coffee and cake at the cafe next door then decide which way back. We decide din the end to head west from Muir of Ord and up over the hills to come down in to Marybank, head across the river for a brief few miles on the Ullapool road before heading back to Dingwall on the dirt tracks of the Brahne estate.
What a really nice afternoon out it was as well. Just one of those nice rides with the weather, no real traffic on the back roads, good company and a relaxed ride on the superb Jack Taylor. We hadn't been out for a while together so it was nice to just spend the afternoon enjoying the ride through the hills in the nice weather at last.
The JT just rides so nicely and I often think I will change this or change that but then I ride it and don't want to change a thing. Whether it was road, rough estate track or even muddy forest track it just rode sweetly.
Here are a few pics as usual.

Jamie

Last edited:
Such a lovely afternoon on Easter Saturday and with the family away I thought it would be a shame not to go for a ride. Was a lovely sunny day though the wind was getting stronger as it went on.
Headed into town for some lunch before meandering along some tracks around the coast before eventually heading a few miles past home to check Calebs little horses. Headed home for some dinner by this time.
Such a nice way to spend an afternoon, just wandering on the Super Clubman. As usual it handled everything very sweetly. Nice to finally get a good bit of warm sunshine. Spring may finally have come.

Well back to the start of another year and I must admit I am off to a late start with my Jack Taylor, or any of my road bikes. The weather has been so abysmal since New Years last week that I had one mtb ride so far.
I managed out yesterday, Sunday, on the Super Clubman as it was the first dryish day we have had. The roads were still quite wet in places but the temperature was up slightly so thought to make the most of it and try and kick the retro ride year off. The state of the roads was pretty bad even on this often used backroad route I do regularly.
Still, always a pleasant experience riding this bike, It is nice to ride regardless of the conditions. Just fits so nicely.
I was thinking when riding along about maybe fitting it with the 8 speed triple kit and using it for a couple of audax rides this year. Hmmm....

Jamie

A weekend away south to Aviemore to meet up with family and friends from even further south spend some time together over the long weekend. We only really get to see each other once, maybe twice a year so it's always good. They are not bike people at all but seen as how this year we were meeting in Aviemore, which I ride regularly in the area and also I know that getting them all ready for breakfast usually takes until at least 10.00am or so, I put the Jack Taylor as well as my Pugsley in the van. As I have done in the past, I will get up early and head out before the others are all up and spend a couple of hours exploring, then back for a quick shower and breakfast with everyone.
The weather was a mixed bag with Saturday being fine first thing for my time out on the Pugsley for it to then rain for most of the rest of Saturday.
Sunday morning with the Jack Taylor ready and waiting to go I was up, washed and ready to go but was a bit concerned that it was foggy, minus 2 and, quite icy still, as I found out when I stepped out the static caravan onto the plastic decking!
Not to worry as the path and the roads looked alright so I decided to ride the all weather dirt path up to Glenmore and see what the weather was doing once I gained some altitude.
Well it didn't take too long, just a mile or two before the sun was poking through and everything was steaming away, there was a bit of ice about but as long as you were careful it was fine. The track was pretty good and the freeze helped to solidify a lot of the mud, so more welcome than not.
With the sun out I kept going upwards, especially after the cafe at the Glenmore visitors centre was closed. The JT was handling the dirt and gravel superbly and was so comfortable even when it got dry and rough. Easy to ride in that environment for sure. I headed back and stopped at one of the cafes near Loch Morlich for a coffee and bacon roll, before fully enjoying the sunshine and the mostly downhill run dropping back down to Aviemore. A thoroughly enjoyable ride and was so welcome I took the JT with me. Love this bike.
I did find when I got home tonight and unloaded out the van that all five chainring bolts were loose. Now loctited. Maybe it was a little rough in places ;)

Jamie

Still foggy

The future looks brighter