Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find - * small update page 14

Re: Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find - * small update page 4

Hi all
The decals are readily available from Lloyds, they have the full original Jack Taylor range which includes the model names on the Reynolds 531 as well as a few others that can't be found elsewhere. Jack Taylor were one of only a few I know of that had permission from Reynolds to print the models on a Reynolds decal. I am not 100% sure but from memory the originals were printed by Reynolds with their standard decals and supplied to Jack Taylor.
Jamie

Cool, thought as much... any more decisions on its restoration?

Went out for a couple of hours with at least half of that pushing into the mother of all headwinds but I suppose I got the benefit of a good tailwind in other sections. Just a cruise round the coast...
Saying that it does ride superbly, different from my others and just rides along in a fast but relaxed manner, I am really enjoying it.
Round the farms with a bit of gravel thrown in and then a quiet ride round the coast to then try and beat the rain home by heading inland. Got a few drops in the last kilometre so timed it just right. Not that far but enjoyable all the same.

reminds me of Van Morrison's 'Coney Island'.
nice writing

Thanks mate, I think :LOL: :LOL:

I don't know about nice writing, just tend to waffle on really. :oops:
I was just thinking about your Hobbs a couple of days back as I had seen an early Superbe F&F for sale, rough, paint wise but the potential was there and such lovely lugs :)
Not a good time to be getting another but tempted for sure.

There's a bit about the Taylor on the blog, mostly just copied what's on here with a few other bits and pieces about it, there's more in the list on the right hand side if anyone might be interested.
http://theroadlesspedalled.blogspot.com ... aylor.html

Jamie

Re:

that was a compliment!
We are planning a trip to travel drive the route Van describes. Then onto the Inner and Outer Hebrides, and to the north of Scotland.

Which Hobbs of mine? I have finally collected the awkward parts for the Blue Riband, and I am dropping the rims and hubs off this morning to get measured. Then to order the spokes.
I have a Lytaloy chainring and drive side crank arm. It is currently being modelled (by someone with the skills) and then off to another (with the skills and the CNC machine) for reproduction.

Well today I had to go into work after lunch to read a test I set up yesterday, I don't work Saturday as we aren't even open but I said I would go and sort it rather than wait until next Tuesday for a result. It was such a lovely day, sun out, cool crisp air and a stiff breeze from the south west which mad it a push to town but a slightly easier return.
I had to be there for around 2 so decided to head out on the Jack Taylor, do my usual commute with a photo stop at Dunnett on the way and then take a few small detours and photos on the way home. I couldn't muck around too long as I had to be back for 4.30 at the latest as we had dinner booked at a café in town for 5.30 and then go to the fireworks and bonfire in town.
It was a really nice commute, I don't know whether it's because I was really just having a ride as I didn't have to be there at a specific time or because I hadn't ridden to work on the Jack Taylor, either way it didn't feel like I was going to work. I was only there about 25minutes and then I was back on the road, back through town and across the river and then back out to home through Castletown and Dunnett stopping afor a couple of photos here and there. Got home just on 4pm as it was just starting to get dark so timing was great for once.
The Jack Taylor rode brilliantly as usual but I think as I am going to leave it in it's patina rather than repaint I will limit it's winter riding and will start fitting it with the components that will stay on it and are better suited to it. Brian and I have a ride in a couple of weeks so I will swap out the bar, stem and brake levers to those I have waiting and try them then.
So not a bad run to work and certainly a nice way to do the 48klm commute.
I hope everyone else had some of the good weather as well.

Jamie
DSCN5465 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Thurso river
DSCN5466 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5471 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5476 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Sun going down. The opposite end of the beach from the first photo
DSCN5481 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Just wonderful, the weather has been just appalling down here, so unable to get out on my JT.

Thanks Mike and hopefully it will be better for you this week. Today was lovely here once again until this evening.
here's a brief I did on todays ride and reported on the macretro section.

Back out today at lunch for a few hours.
It had rained overnight but was sunny and not too much in the way of clouds about and just a light breeze adding to the very cold air. Though for up here it pretty much counts as lovely.
The plan was reasonably simple, finish the jobs I needed to get done around the house and then about midday Heather was taking Caleb for his horse ride so after taking Spot the dog out I would go for a ride and maybe we would meet up at our friends later on.
I decided to take the Jack Taylor out and head the opposite direction to yesterday and head out Canisbay war memorial and pay my respects before going on past John O'Groats to Duncansby Head. Stop for a coffee and cake at Groats on the way back past, get home and then if enough light and the timing was right I would take the Big Dummy and head back out.
Started out well if cold, really nice, clear, crisp day with the roads still wet, though with the temp so low and no winds they weren't going to dry today at any rate. It was a really nice relaxed ride to the memorial situated on the quiet singletrack road above Canisbay. I stopped, payed my respects for a couple of minutes, sat for a while on the grass taking in the silence in contemplation, then headed off towards JoG's.
At this stage it was cold but clear and sunny and I got to the junction where I could turn down into Groats or head up the road to Duncansby and asked myself do I want coffee and cake before or after? I wanted it before but knew I might not make it to the climb if I stopped now. It was a really nice ride up and even though I am out here regularly for pleasure and work it always looks lovely. It's a steady grind up but the views are worth it. I was convinced that I am too old to be running Dura Ace 7400 race gearing and vowed it will return with a triple front and wide range rear :)

On the way back I pulled into one of the little cafe's only to find it closed and not wanting to head down to the JoG's waterfront area I just turned home. The clouds had started rolling in and it had dropped a few degrees so thought I would head back along the coast this time and turn back onto the inland road at Mey. Another long but steady climb up from Gills bay revealed to clouds closing from the south at a fair pace and so pushed on taking a couple of dirt short cuts onto the back road. By this stage the temp had dropped quite considerably and was sure it was only about 5 degree or so.
Got home and warmed up and decided against getting back out on the Dummy as Heather was on her way home and I wanted to get the dog out before it got dark. Lucky I did as it rained not long after.
So another good weathered ride out on the Jack Taylor. Really liking this machine and it's great handling, very surefooted but very relaxed to ride.
Hope the rest of the macretro clan managed to either get a ride in or at least had a good weekend.

Jamie

View from home over to Hoy with Dunnett Head on the left
DSCN5493 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5500 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Looking across to the island of Stroma in the foreground and Orkney across the water in the background
DSCN5510 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Nice place to sit and be thankful. Lest We Forget
DSCN5515 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5518 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Across to Orkney
DSCN5519 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5523 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Out of Gills Bay looking back along the coast towards John O'Groats, clouds closing in
DSCN5527 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Top of the rise and looking south
DSCN5529 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Same road and same view as the second photo above.
DSCN5534 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5522 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Lovely, so peaceful...

I also received a bit more information on the Jack Taylor this past week from the JT appreciation Facebook page. The only real information I had was pretty scant to be honest as the previous owner Adam, who I gratefully got it from had purchased it secondhand many years ago when he was at University in Durham. The owner he purchased it from had owned it from new but that's about all Adam could tell me. He did a good few miles on it in his earlier days but then he put it away in the chicken shed where it stayed until I took on the job of putting it back into use. The build date I had from the frame and fork numbers was from the excellent Bluebird Jack Taylor website. Well it seems that Ken Taylor had been speaking to one of the members and had loaned the build books/ledgers for what looks to be all the years to allow them to be photographed and put online for the members to see and use, and sure enough there was the Super Clubman #7885 with a build date of 12/02/1982, 21 inch built by Norman. The Bluebird site had it down as a 1983 so it was good to get a correct year date but even better was getting the specific build date.

Jamie

48429502_10213458049141581_5034621180460400640_n_LI by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Have been riding the JT a bit locally lately. Here are a couple of photos.
There is a lot more about it on the blog linked below and then just click on the Jack Taylor link on the left of the blog page if interested.

Christmas afternoon I managed to sneak out for an hour or so to clear the head :)
DSCN5599 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5608 (2) by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

And today the sun was shining so a coastal ride with a stop at the beach at Dunnett before racing the darkness home.
DSCN5637 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5644 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5645 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Back