Is Alexa spying on you?

My father in law doesn't have - and won't use - online banking. Such a shame that some banks are eroding the ability of people to just live.....
Me neither. (If it were viable, I would avoid banks altogether but it seems that few people are aware of why usury was reviled in the past.)

Not sure why a concern with privacy has been elided with conspiracy theorists earlier in this thread. The latter might entail the former but the former doesn't entail the latter. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
If the question was:
"Is alexa gathering personal data to enable amazon to directly monetise its marketing?"
then the conspiracy theorists might have passed it by.

... but that word "spying" implies so much more🤔

It rings bells in those secret smoke-filled basements🤣

I remember that murder case where it turned out Alexa had listened in on the argument that led to murder, but good old amazon wouldn't release the recording to the police because they didn't want to breach the privacy of their subscribers.
So at least they have your best interest at heart.
If it makes them money.

I remember that murder case where it turned out Alexa had listened in on the argument that led to murder, but good old amazon wouldn't release the recording to the police because they didn't want to breach the privacy of their subscribers.
So at least they have your best interest at heart.
If it makes them money.
I'm sure if they said something "politically incorrect" they wouldn't hesitate to release that info.

It’s always the ones with the most boring lives that seem to think they have things to hide.

You aren’t hiding anything that either tech companies or the government give a shit about.

It’s all about marketing and data.

I love the idea the govt is spying on some bloke who works in a cafe making cakes.

The first proper app operated bike scheme in Bristol was surprisingly cheap. (YoBike)
Screenshot_20240407-074558_Firefox.jpg
After around 6 months all the undermaintained bikes were basically in the harbour polluting our waterways - but the company had made their money back by selling users' data.

But the data wasn't valuable because Donald Trump could recruit you to storm disneyland when they refuse to film his autobiography -

Rather you're having a pint and the pizza restaurant next door can fire you an advert.

Last edited:
My wife's iPhone listens to us all the time. So she will say something like, "the kid is going to Universal this weekend," and an hour later an ad for Universal pops up on her Facebook feed. Happens all the time. She never addresses Siri directly, although every once in a while it interrupts a conversation, "Excuse me?" Shut up, bitch. Wifey doesn't remember turning it on, and can't figure out how to turn it off.

Which means it listens to her yelling at the TV. Ye gods. The least offensive thing she's said in the last month was "Get in the hole! Get in the hole!" Fortunately I think Kafka got it more right than Orwell

Latest posts

Back