I need Hope...

Re:

Look what arrived today...

Just another piece to this puzzle :)

The other fork leg clamp I have is more substantial, I'll have to see if it fits though.
At least the Shocktech forks have steel/alloy legs, I did read a few stories of people crushing their Pace fork legs by overtightening the caliper clamp :shock:

What I really need is to find somewhere to braze on fittings for the rear caliper, any ideas? Been looking at Shand Cycles in Livingston, will call them tomorrow. The bike shops up my way couldn't help.

Re:

Maybe Ben at Kinetic cycles in Glasgow?
Has a good rep.

Used the Hope clamp on my Pace forks, for the original hydraulics with the stub axle. Ran if for 4 years with no issues.

Re:

The proper pace clamp has an alloy insert to stop the carbon crushing.....

I'll see if I can dig out a pic of mine!

Re:

Thanks for that Clubby, will call and make some enquiries.

The "other " clamp I have is a Hope one I think, comes in 2 parts, will get a pic when I can.

Please excuse my post from South of the border! A PM to Dyna-Ti about Hope bits alerted me to this thread. I am a big fan of the early Hope mechanical disc set-up. I've posted a couple of period articles in the Hope time-line thread. Anyway, I'm signing in as I am very interested to see how you get on with the disc set-up. It is obvious from reading the thread so far that we are very lucky here on Retrobike. Lots of knowledgable people with great ideas.

Hi, well the rear brake should be fairly straightforward, just requires something brazing onto the steel frame.
The front I ran into issues with, I think there must have been a different type of caliper adapter for each type of suspension fork available at the time! I found that simply mounting the disc rotor onto the hub meant that it fouled on theinside of the fork leg on the Pace RC-35 forks I was using, from what I can see maybe a different spider/adapter to mount the disc on is what's needed there.
I opted to try some different forks (Shocktech) which have a wider distance between the fork legs and so the dropouts are positioned towards the inside of the fork legs, so the front wheel and rotor fit with some clearance.
still a way to go with adjusting and tweaking things, oh and I need to find a longer steerer for the fork, so still plenty to do .

Need more pics Jim, People like pics. :cool:

Especially those who come here via a googled question, as i have many times during my hunts for info.

Re:

Thanks Clubby :)

A bit of trial fitting suggests the front adapter I have should also work on the rear, so I'm thinking of making one but changing it slightly.
Should let me try the brakes without permanently fixing things to the frame (that can be done later).
Still waiting on a 2nd disc, my LBS measured the one I have but say they've ordered an XC4 disc from Hope :? I don't think that's right, but I'll see if/when it turns up.
Getting there slowly....

Re:

Thanks clubby, a good read.

XC4 disc? Do you know what size they've ordered?
I had a set of 2nd hand XC4 disc brakes as my first proper set of hydraulic brakes. From memory the discs were 150mm(mibbees 140?) front and 130mm rear. Those sizes could be wrong, but they were really wee, if it wasn't dark o'clock I'd rummage in the shed to measure them. They were puny power-wise, not much better than the V's on my other bike. Fitted 20mm+ adaptors and bigger discs, much better, a BIG improvement. The way too small disc size was the problem as the levers and calipers were fine once they got to work on decent sized discs.

Back