What freewheel tool do I need for this?

The small splined Maillard freewheel tool was designated 407 'Atom', the larger splined tool was 408 'Normandy' then the basic 2 dog was 409 '700'. A better 2 dog remover (which I've got somewhere in a tool drawer) was 411 'Luxe 700 avec broche' and had a skewer to hold it in place. With typically annoying Gallic illogic, despite both it and Maillard hub quick release skewers being M5, the remover skewer was M5x1 whilst the hub skewers were M5x0.8.
There were also versions of the 407 and 409 with handles that were termed 'professionnelle'.
Various parts of the 6-speed 'Sprint' freewheel were interchangeable with the 7-speed 'Compact' model so in timetrials I ran a custom light weight 7-speed freewheel which used the inner body (the bit that screwed onto the hub) and larger sprockets from a dural Sprint. That's another piece of kit that I've not seen for 40 years but should be knocking around somewhere in my junk boxes.
Those pullers are pretty much non existent in North America. They were used on 1960s bikes from a few high end bike shops. You had to drive 10 hours round trip to the nearest shop to get one. Then when the late 60 s-70s bike boom hit the parts were mostly Japanese. A few had French plastic derailleurs that catastrophically broke. Batavis had plastic, of course Pujunk had plastic, most Italian imports had plastic. Japanese and most American 10 speed brands had Japanese steel derailleurs. The plastic replacement was the cheap Campagnolo derailleurs, which most local bike shops had. They were a bitch to adjust and keep adjusted. IMG_4660.jpeg IMG_4661.jpeg The entry level Japanese derailleurs were good, they generally had stem mounted shifters that couldn’t slide down the down tube and get loose cables like the Campagnolo.

Last edited:
Back