Time to replace my canti studs? Advice needed

If the brake bosses are at fault, a framebuilder could braze on new ones quite easily. Not a difficult task tbh, new bosses should be fairly cheap too/could be liberated from another bike to save costs. Obv the welding/removal will damage the surrounding paint.

Thanks everyone. The other bike I compared the stud wear against is a Thorn. It seems to have a white coating on the studs opposed to bare metal like mine. I have to say I didn't look in great detail but it seems to help the noise and chatter. Is there a coating or resistant grease I could try? Cheers Marcus
I use Moly grease on brake pivots - works well as stays put.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Note that the studs are steel but the cantis have a brass bush pressed into them. So it's the cantis that are worn. A little extra toe-in on the pads will cure the screeching, and of course the canti stud needs lubrication with grease. Later cantis had a bearing inside the canti arm, so didn't rotate on the stud itself.

To sum up:
Worn canti pivot bushes make front brake vsquealing harder to stop.
Add a flexy fork (touring-era overburys mtb) and a long cable from the hanger (not here - but your kona style hanger was probably fitted to solve a problem) and it can be very hard.
(It's unlikely the bosses need replacing and that would be a frame repair braze job - I've seen plenty broken but none worn out in 30 yr)

Grease the studs, clean the brakes, fit new pads (brake use wears the "toe-in" away).
Set the brake with enough toe-in so that it's still got some even if you twist the canti arm inward to take up the play in the pivot.
If it still squeals, try more toe- in. The brake feel at the lever gets spongier, but you keep the original parts.
Bob's your uncle.

Back