Hope Tech 3 e4/v4 servicing

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I bought a set of these brakes knowing that they need work, but thought I'd have a go.

I've serviced hope tech and older master cylinders before but not had to do anything to callipers before.

I'd like to overhaul them before use, but not sure where to begin, hoping that there are some knowledgeable folk who have done it and can share their knowledge.

The levers seem fine, though the blades are rough, lucky I accidentally bought the wrong levers a while back so have some new ones I can replace them with

The callipers could do with more effort I think. I don't want to damage anything so looking for advice on how to remove and check the pistons and seals, replace whatever is needed and rebuild for use.

Any tips, tricks, hacks or insight gratefully received. Hopefully I don't need any tools I don't have.

this is useful for getting each piston out in turn, mainly the non bore cap side, i tend to do them one at a time:-

i use dot fluid grease on the pistons/seals when refitting them:-

you will also need the bore cap tool, and i have to admit i like their newer bleed kit, you order the one that suits your brake lever but the bucket is easier to use, i then find bleeding from the bottom up to the bucket is the best way to bleed them.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...m47kT0LgwrFCkHWRz5xoCYx8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for the info.

I saw the piston tool while researching myself, challenge I have is the brakes have no fluid, in fact one has a cut hose from removal, so could be challenging. One piston may also be stuck

I've got hunters lube so should be good there.

I guess I'll need a bore tool then.

If I need new pistons, where's a good source? o rings too I guess. I've got a box of various sizes but I'll presume none will fit.

I was hoping not to have to spend too much on them, as while I didn't pay top dollar, they were expensive enough and I was hoping I could sort them out and end up spending a bit less than buying a fully working set, though I must admit that tearing them down and fixing was all part of my plan, old dog, new tricks and all.

Is bleeding them without the kit that bad? I do have some tech and race brakes on builds but the kit is specific unless it's possible to buy the gubbins for each reservoir separately?

i have most of that in stock, all parts are available, usually if i order anything it's at most 2 days until i receive it.

sometimes to remove the pistons i would fill it with oil, use the piston tool to force the stuck piston out by pulling the lever, it should extend out, remove it, (assuming the seized one is on the non bore cap side) then refit a new piston and seal, move the piston spacer tool around to do the other piston on the non bore cap side, then remove the bore caps and fit new pistons, then re-bleed completely.

the bleed kit isn't needed as such, it's just easier.

Cheers. Is it worth soaking in anything to aid piston removal?

I'd be up for whatever I need to service them, plus a bore tool. Pads too actually as I don't have any I don't think.

£14.50 for a small bit of plastic is an obscene joke. You can make the same thing with a small block of a hardwood like oak(or any hard substance, plastic,alloy etc etc)
I made my own long before they started appearing from 3D printers, having the need to service the older 4 pots like DH4, Enduro4, M4 etc. Its quite a simple thing to make.
----

One thing to consider is if you are going to replace all the pistons on both calipers, plus the bore cap tools(2 are needed small and large cap sizes for the V4) plus bleed kit if you want too buy it,plus pads,plus cost of that stupid piston tool, it all adds up.
2 bore cap tools(if V4) would be £16. Pads add say £32(for proper Gaffer ones) Bleed kit -£25 and £14.50 for the stupid piston tool = £87.50 call it a round up of £90
PLUS you've still got to get the dodgy piston out and if you need to replace al the pistons, thats another 50 bucks, bringing the total to the best part of £140

What you could do is send them to hope,It is about £60 per brake- Hope will replace all the parts for you., all pistons, all seals not only in the caliper but in the lever too,new proper Hope pads plus fill and properly bleed them.

It's a no brainer really. And everyone will tell you (inc me) that what you get back is pretty much a new brake, ready to go

TIP: If sending to Hope for service. Clean religiously as they arent too chuffed finding a manky brake in the bag, and might add something onto the costs if they are dirty.

This is a post from Single Track World from 1 month ago and a response from Hope on costs and whats included.

" “Thank you for your email. We charge £60 per brake plus p+p for a service on a 4 piston brake (the complete brake, master cylinder and caliper). All seals and pistons are replaced, then the brake is bled and new pads fitted. Fitting standard hose adds £27.50 per brake, braided is £35. If you would like to send your brakes in for a service please could you make sure that they are clean and include the attached form. Turnaround is within one week just now but can change depending on the post box.”

You could also ask them to upgrade the pistons to the latest stainless steel ones which apparently are way better and dont stick. It will add to the price, but worth it for what you get back.

Form -

STW thread

Last edited:
I must admit I had toyed with the idea of sending them to hope. Seems spendy, yet reasonable when compared to the cost of everything needed to do them myself, though I would end up with bits I could reuse on other hope brakes I have.

@dyna-ti that little block tool is just convenient, yes they can be made, it was easier to link to one than explain and describe it.

@ishaw yes sending them to hope is worthwhile, i sometimes do it with the older brakes or if the job on the complete bike is long winded, for example, if a bike comes in and needs forks/shocks sending away and the brakes need doing as well then sometimes i take advantage of hopes servicing, from a shop point of view it can be worthwhile as the end price to the customer is the same and then i don't have to take them apart, deal with stuck pistons, decide what parts i need, order them, wait for them to come in, then finish the job, if i'm busy generally it means i can do all the prep on the frame like pivots etc, then just wait for the fork/shock/brakes to turn up and just refit them which means the bike is in the stand for a reduced amount of time. it can be a useful service to have.

Back