How Well Does a 30 Year-old Bike Ride?

Re:

I agree some of the chain angles do look appalling but I definitely find my chains last longer running 1x than anything else. I put this down to no front Chainring changes which Always strike me as as somewhat Brutal. It could all be bollocks though. Even so all my modern bikes, mtb, gravel, road, TT have been on 1x11 or 1x12 and tubeless tyres for years now.

My best resto-mod was a Dekerf which had been modified with a disc mount, running Pace RC31 425mm a-c forks, 650x47 Clement tubeless tyres with an XT 9 speed rear mech, 11-23 cassette and Middleburn Duo chainset. It was fast enough on the big ring for the road sections between trails then the 29 ring was perfect off road. I thought it would be even better with a 1x set-up using a 36t ring and a wider ratio cassette but it just never worked for me. I was always in the wrong gear.

Not being an athlete in any way shape or form but being a larger rider and where i live, 44t on an MTB is too small (unless riding into the wind on the way home).

50t on the road bike and that had to be replaced with a 53t.

Even yomping around the Peak District, 36/36 seemed to be my 'magic' ratio that saw me climbing all over the place.

My own bikes have retained their triples and doubles but have gained discs and air shocks and all cost about 50p to build form other peoples unwanted 'stuff'

As written by many, cycling is a terrible business model, its no good to companies selling a product that can be in continuous use for decades with no further input from the manufacturer. Things can only be re-invented so many times but companies need to make money. Shifting has not moved on since the ramped cassette, chains still leave their tattoo on you leg or best bicycling tweeds.

1x set ups appeared because of Patents and the reluctance by one company to pay up to another, that and the limitations it placed on the then 29er full suspension design.

The one good thing about any old good quality frame is that it can be fitted with all sorts an the original frame builders intentions remain intact - to go out, ride a bicycle and have fun

*and eat cake

**and drink beer

***but dont forget the cake!

legrandefromage":12m7dxrn said:
Not being an athlete in any way shape or form but being a larger rider and where i live, 44t on an MTB is too small (unless riding into the wind on the way home).

50t on the road bike and that had to be replaced with a 53t.

Even yomping around the Peak District, 36/36 seemed to be my 'magic' ratio that saw me climbing all over the place.

My own bikes have retained their triples and doubles but have gained discs and air shocks and all cost about 50p to build form other peoples unwanted 'stuff'

As written by many, cycling is a terrible business model, its no good to companies selling a product that can be in continuous use for decades with no further input from the manufacturer. Things can only be re-invented so many times but companies need to make money. Shifting has not moved on since the ramped cassette, chains still leave their tattoo on you leg or best bicycling tweeds.

1x set ups appeared because of Patents and the reluctance by one company to pay up to another, that and the limitations it placed on the then 29er full suspension design.

The one good thing about any old good quality frame is that it can be fitted with all sorts an the original frame builders intentions remain intact - to go out, ride a bicycle and have fun

*and eat cake

**and drink beer

***but dont forget the cake!

Aaaahh...the beauty of a perfect front shift from a thumbie. I can do well w/ a triple and an 8sp rear cluster.

Re: Re:

mheywoo1":42gt5k4l said:
I agree some of the chain angles do look appalling but I definitely find my chains last longer running 1x than anything else. I put this down to no front Chainring changes which Always strike me as as somewhat Brutal. .

Do it smoothly on a thumbshifter. A triple is much easier on rings and cassettes than a 1x set up but requires finesse and training. Otoh the tech for fool proof gear changes on 12sp monster cassettes is here: pay $$$ for those and go.

legrandefromage":2gu5d91z said:
I ride bicycles and eat cake.

But mostly eat cake. ;)

I ran my '97 P7 as a wide range 1x8 last year, I quite liked it.

I think tubeless tyres on a retro Mtb is something I need to try though.

Back