How much do you trust an old bike

ovlov440

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Simple question really, but maybe not that simple.

I picked up a '92 Scott Windriver last year. Pretty much original, one XT shifter pod has been replaced but I think that's pretty much the only change from stock.

Riding it for the first time a couple of months ago brought back lots of memories, and also reminded me how far bikes had come. No longer could I go smashing through a trail, relying on the suspension to deal with the surface underneath. I had to read, and re-read the trail continuously, calculating the best line. The elbows went out, the head went down and slowly my body remembered how to ride a rigid. After my first ride my wife asked 'how was it'. I replied 'terrifying and exhilarating in equal measure'. I now seem to have a perverse pleasure in riding this old bike, favouring it more than my (comparatively modern) Whyte 46. It scampers up hills, the joy of that being tempered by trying to stop my eyeballs falling out on the descents.

I live but 2 minutes from the Swinley trails in Crowthorne so have been bashing round there for a number of years. On Saturday I rode the Scott end-to-end on the red trails. The recent spell of dry weather has had an impact on the trails. They are very dry, dusty and are developing holes and scars where previously none existed. On a couple of occasions the front wheel dropped into a hole and I had to wrestle it out. On another it made a horrible bang, almost metal on flint and for a moment I thought I had taco'd the wheel.

The point to this rambling, is a question. How much do you trust an old bike? The recent joy of this old (steel) Scott has me thinking about upgrading to a better rigid (maybe hardtail) and my eye is drawn to many things. The odd Pace, Klein or even an AMP (which I have owned before) have passed through my watchlist, but I continuously remove them fearing that they would inevitably lead to a trip to A&E when the old alu fails.

So, how much do you trust an old bike, and given the riding I am doing (if any of you know Swinley you will have a better understanding of the environment) is it better to stick to Steel/Ti than Alu/Carbon?

Look forward to your thoughts.

Ade

Attachments

• 20230419_171238.jpg
    20230419_171238.jpg
    988.4 KB · Views: 54
Last weekend I took an Orange Evo2, which is nearing quarter of a century old around Swinley. I was riding with a group on modern e-bikes and was pushing the Orange hard to keep up. Nothing fell off and I was happy to ride it hard to keep face. BUT, I was pushing the bike and I could feel it. Like you said, the holes are big!

The following day I went back on a more modern bike which felt effortless in comparison. So, for a one off I'm happy on the retro, but day to day? Nah, something more modern for that type of trail. The retro will, inevitably after 25-30 years of wear/fatigue, break!

I do sometimes worry, when flying down descents, about the structural integrity of my 30+ year old bars and what kind of injuries I might incur should they snap 🤣

Great entry, I don't do any heavy trail riding although I get weary about some parts, kooka cranks, USE seatposts, gen2 syncros seatposts forming stress cracks, frames on the other hand surly would be fine even if they cracked they would limp along? I SHOULD NOT OF SAID THAT XD

As long as the bike is well maintained there's no reason for it to be unreliable. The only caveat I'd put on that is the fact that super light but fragile race bikes from bitd have not suddenly become less fragile!

I don't tend to ride my retro much, more down to most of them being too small rather than their ability but since I got my fully rigid gravel bike I've been reminded how much fun picking lines can be on all the old trails I used to ride as a kid. It's also ace blasting through on my 150mm 29er though! Biggest hindrance to retro is wheel size imo as 26 inch wheels with narrow, shallow tyres don't have get bogged down easily, especially on the rocky, rooty paths around here.

Great entry, I don't do any heavy trail riding although I get weary about some parts, kooka cranks, USE seatposts, gen2 syncros seatposts forming stress cracks, frames on the other hand surly would be fine even if they cracked they would limp along? I SHOULD NOT OF SAID THAT XD
Only time I've ever spent a lot of money on an old seat post was for a lovely Syncros. Out in winter on a ride organised on here and it snapped, leaving me to stand up from Malham Tarn to Malham village and then miss the rest of the ride. Never spent loads on retro kit I intend to use since.

Back