How Well Does a 30 Year-old Bike Ride?

He comes across as a really good bloke too. Knows his stuff. Good YouTube channel

Re:

I watched this last night. Already Subscribed to the channel, there's been a few interesting re-builds along the way, have to say, the paint turned out really nice on the Ritchey too.

Re:

Also made a note to try his 1X 34/36/38T front and 11-40+ T set up in the rear. Never realised such cassettes existed for classic hubs and for sensible money. I seldom use the big ring these days anyway. I dont see retro bikes as obsolete anyway, they are just as enjoyable to ride today as 30yrs ago. Lots of narrow gnarly twisty root and slippy off camber trails near me that require old school handling skills. You just cant blast through it with 700mm bars on a modern full sus rig.

Cool lil video, i've always been VERY against anything modern tweeks to any of my fleet but i'll be honest, the idea is growing on me, a lot. Take the best of everything we know, simplicity of old stuff, convenience and reliability of modern stuff... maybe I have a retromod project on the way with my next build - modern tubeless rubber, wider bars, 1x8 groupset sounds cool. I need to look into the wide range 8speed cassette and the funky widget that lowers the rear mech to accommodate the wider range, anyone any details/links to this product?

Re:

I noticed a few times he used a rear derailer “extension or dropping” contraption... was it for adaptation to new big cogs on rear wheel?.. looks like it pushes rear derailer out and down from original location on frame.

Re: Re:

Scvintage":z2epmkke said:
I noticed a few times he used a rear derailer “extension or dropping” contraption... was it for adaptation to new big cogs on rear wheel?.. looks like it pushes rear derailer out and down from original location on frame.

Should keep it inline but just moves it down around 20-30mm from looks of it, it will no double allow for clearance for a larger big ring on the cassette, otherwise the top jockey wheel will just simply foul/crash into the larger cogs as it shifts upwards. Only downside I can think of is more vague shifting in the smaller cogs and also the chain won't ride around as many teeth on the smaller cogs, thus possibly increasing wear on the few teeth it does contact, however I suspect it won't cause too much grief.

Back