Lower your nose?

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Following on from Dec-23 BOTM chat here what's your saddle alignment preference when it comes to the nose? Does it vary bike to bike? Does it vary on discipline?

What benefits are there, if any, to having the nose high in your nuts or foo-foo, or so low you slip onto the top tube?

Are you a triathlete with a bonkers dew-drop saddle or stick-insect old-skool XC machine, head down, bum-up?

Have your saddle habits changed over the years?

This is the thread to share your infinite wisdom...or express that having a level saddle, the more often that not, is the most comfortable and optimum position.

This should be a riveting thread 🤣 ;)

Last edited:
For XC, or normal MTB where you climb and go down and do what ever it comes to you in your rute, I have find that the best if you like to ride a bit fast is 1,5cm lower the handlebar than the saddle. Well, really it was acording with Fat chance sugestion about what I like to do and what the bicycle is for. The saddle leveled, flat. 0 degrees.

And do you know what? They nailed the geometry. My back is relaxed, I like to go fast in sigle tracks and I feel so good even in road is confortable and fast.

It is funny because in my other bicycles it is similar, around 1,5-2cm lower but the back is not as relaxed as this custom frame. Only in the SB5 the handle bar is over the saddle about 1-2cm. That is fine to go down but not for hard climbs.

So there is not a fixed answer. It depends on what you do. You have to have in mind what is that bicycle for and what is your preference, if not you will never have the answer.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought it was the position of the saddle and the handle bar. I was talking about that with other person and my mind goes to that 😅
The saddle in my case is leveled. 0 degrees.

Last edited:
I only use leather saddles like Brooks, Blb, Gyes and others. Before I had Flites and would keep them level. My leather saddles are tilted slightly backwards. Hard to explain exactly why, but when level I tend to slide forward, making for a fidgety ride. Most leather saddles appear to be mounted that way. Some compare leather saddles to a hammock because of it, but I find that a bit far fetched.

EDIT I am usually head down bum up, but not extremely so.

Last edited:
I have mine 'spirit level' level, currently using an array of saddles on various bikes - Brookes C17, Fizik Terra Argo X3, Flite ti and Overbury's Anatomic, so a variety of styles and eras, and they all work for me best when level.

I only use leather saddles like Brooks, Blb, Gyes and others. Before I had Flites and would keep them level. My leather saddles are tilted slightly backwards. Hard to explain exactly why, but when level I tend to slide forward, making for a fidgety ride. Most leather saddles appear to be mounted that way. Some compare leather saddles to a hammock because of it, but I find that a bit far fetched.
Yep, me too, all saddles prior to the Brooks were level, the Brooks is nose up…. If it’s level I feel like I’m sliding forwards….? 🤔

Flat saddle. For me, less padding usually means less rub and so wierdly are more comfy. I have child bearing hips so also need something with a little width. Really like the short nose saddles - again flat. Only deviation is on a TT when I go nose up slightly but have not done that in years - helps me maintain position (in addition to a bit of grip tape). SMP saddles are odd looking but surprisingly comfy. Favorite old school saddle is a Selle Italia Rolls special edition - if anyone has one taking up space let me know!

So here is the conversation about about unrideable saddle angles and how I disagree with them being unrideable. Personal and riders choice.
Some pictures of unrideable bikes for your delectation.
Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 09-07-57 BoTM - Bike of The Month December 2023 - The vote.png
Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 09-09-17 BoTM - Bike of The Month December 2023 - The vote.png

Attachments

• unrideable1.jpg
    unrideable1.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 0
  • unrideable3.png
    unrideable3.png
    327.9 KB · Views: 2
  • unrideable2.jpg
    unrideable2.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 0
  • unrideable4.png
    unrideable4.png