Lower your nose?

Always level, because that's what I recall Richard's Bicycle Book teaching. Very slightly up if for some reason perfectly flat is not possible.

Tilted down so the nose is lower than the back.

I enjoy technical climbing, I'm that guy.

- Smaller contact patch all over.

- Motivates me to rest less and get back on the jets sooner.

- it is fairly dangerous and uncomfortable as hell descending.

- Why am I bullet-pointing with hyphens?

IMHO : saddle position or configuration means pulling yourself up a surface where and when you need one and reducing the availability of said surface when you don't want or need it.

think two stiletto heels pushing into two halved mini squash balls.

tl/dr : lower your nose, fight back

Last edited:
So what have we learned?

As expected, different strokes. Factor in overall posture and physicality, and let's be honest, beliefs.

Wisdom and evidence indicates a level nose or slightly lower nose is more optimum in performance, and a more comfortable, controlled riding experience.

There continues to be some head-scratching on how a high nose is comfortable, regardless of the purpose e.g., time trialling, downhill, XC, or cruisin'. By shifting weight to the back, the pressure it puts on the groin and added stress on arms and shoulders to reach the bars in a controlled manner, even with a raised set-up (that's another thread), is completely avoidable with a simple adjustment to lower the nose.

A fight or conflict, this is not. Listening and sharing experiences, with some solid evidence, this is.

Back