Has everyone got one of these except me?...

I don't get the anti-kona thing, sure they're not very rare but my explosif is a fantasticly good riding machine that I'm not afraid to get dirty and really hammer.

Whatever bikes I have they've got to be able to keep pace, If not then what's the point? Hang it on the wall and call it art and go get a bike for riding!

Had a few including a 853 Explosif,didn't really like them that much. Prefer my old M2 Stumpy to any of the Kona's I have owned and just bought an old Rockhopper FS to do up.
Not retro I know, but my all time favourite bike is a M5 S-works, perhaps that will be collectable in a few years time

I started out holding them in disdain, mostly because they were "fashionable" (also foolishly had a thing against Shimano back then because they had taken over so comprehensively!) Then I actually got round to trying one, and bought my own almost immediately afterwards (in 1995.)

I'm still riding it now, and it's just as good as it ever was; the handling is just spot on when balance and poise are everything...

Joe":2o65azdc said:
John":2o65azdc said:
I don't have one and neither love nor hate Konas. Do i win ?

yes - you can collect your prize from mr J. Murray C/o Kona UK

Get in. Thought murrays kona association ended long ago.

So, not totally immune to the charms of the 'are they really American or Canadian but it doesn't matter anymore 'cos they are all made in Taiwan' bikes that the honest among us love and respect, and the Beverly's of the group think are common (that should start a row ;) ).

Wu-Tangled":1akuw0zi said:
It seems everywhere i look I keep seeing lovely simple steel 90's Kona's.

Yes they are common, but they are great riding and robust frames too, so its no wonder there are lots around.

If I was to compare the better Konas to a car I'd have to say a 90s Kona is the equivalent to a 70s, 80s Porsche 911 in that while they aren't as rare as a Ferrari they are a classic you can use everyday.

Back