Kona Explosif 94 Reborn

Konajona

Dirt Disciple
Well here's my new to me 94 Explosif thanks to the very generous Benjabbi.
I know some of you retro guru's would cringe at what ive done to her, but i feel this build still keeps the spirit of the bike with the improvements of modern gearing and a less back breaking cockpit for my ageing back šŸ˜« Love the way it feels and really enjoying using it for its true purpose still. The P2's are a definite improvement. So much lighter than the old Bombers. Always wanted an Explosif, after loving my very 1st kona which was a 95 Lavadome. Something about these 90's kona's i really like. The simplicity of the design but the elegance of the geometry šŸ˜ i need help i know šŸ¤£ 20240218_155049.jpg 20240218_164650.jpg 20240127_120448.jpg

Last edited:
P2s just look like they belong there. Flat bar and Velocity stem would look better, but if the modified cockpit means it get ridden more then it gets my vote.

Looks good - a question if I may: did you do the 1x change yourself? and what size is the cassette? In advance of doining similar I'm trying to figure out if I need a gear hanger extender to get a 46T rear on my 94' AA...

Yes, all built myself. The rear mech is a RD-M781-GS with recommended max sprocket of 36T, so didn't want to over stretch the cage by to much so went for a 40T probably could of gone to a 42T max without a goatlink. But if your mech is a SGS you should be good to a 46T as shimano do under rate there Max tolerance.

It's always a win when an old mountain bike is getting proper usage.

Catalogue spec is all well and good, we all love to see them, but the reality is that most of us here are well past our athletic prime, and so some of the progressive race tier bikes in particular need a bit of customization to make them enjoyable to ride.

Back