GT Avalanche ‘91

Having been hooked into mtb since I was a 12 year old with a hand me down Falcon Everest back in 1989, I always hankered after one of those real world hero mtb’s that you only saw in photos when looking at MBUK with your mates.

At school, a classmate worked endless odd-jobs over one summer and ended up the envy of everyone when he proudly rode in one day on a shiny new ‘91 Karakoram Elite. We all marvelled at the frankly awe inspiring paintwork (particularly having just re-painted my rusty Falcon with Hammerite) and ever since then I was always bewitched by those early GT paint jobs.

Fast forward ‘many’ years and after lurking on here marvelling at the awesome bikes and stories for many moons (but sadly with little real spare time to get involved), I finally decided to bite the bullet with a sanity project in lockdown.

After a lot of internet scouring, ebay watchlists etc, I finally spotted a half decent looking Daktari white 91 Avalanche in the right size. After a few questions to the eBay seller, it looked like a decent bet (being too far to go and view) and I was fortunate enough to win the auction.

Headed down to collect and was delighted to find that it had been very sparingly used and always garaged - still on its original tyres and missing only its original seat and post.

Been slowly collecting a few period correct parts with the idea of making it the bike I always lusted over as a kid (when Deore XT was akin to platinum compared to my workmanlike Exage Trail).

Finally started putting it together recently and really enjoying the mix of nostalgia and wonder at how simple yet effective bike engineering was back then. No hydraulics to bleed, no dropper posts or tyre sealant, just good old steel! Although if I’m being honest, I had forgotten what a faff cantilever brakes are to get (and stay) properly set up!

First photos as it was when collected, will add progress pics following.

6546CB86-AAA7-4DCB-9997-9D6C58034EDC.jpeg 1299D258-743C-4825-A210-BD6A13A88952.jpeg FB544C6A-1333-46D7-A803-25C85820A5A4.jpeg

Started out giving the frame a once over to see the condition of the paint or any lurking rust but they must have painted these GT’s very well as its held up remarkably for a 30 year old bike. Will need the odd touch up here and there but overall very pleased.

Interesting to have a play with the flip flop stem - never tried one before and an interesting design hybrid of quill and precursor to the ahead system.

B74729FF-6F53-4422-89EF-08940C84075A.jpeg E5595E56-B0B0-4B59-BAF3-9B2365322390.jpeg

The u-brake brace had fared less well over the years so managed to find a nos one after a lot of searching and just need to source some new bolts and will be in decent shape.
CB6574A2-C570-4A97-8977-B9791D6137B6.jpeg

Next stop - the wheels. Stripped down the cassette, gave a good scrub and it has come up like new with practically no wear.

Hubs are also nice and smooth with no play, and a good clean and polish of the gunmetal Ritchey rims has brought them up a treat.

I deliberated on the tyres for a while as the Z Max are still in good nick with no cracking and would have come up well with a clean but I’d like to actually use the bike when finished (albeit probably the 3 days of the year when the trails are free from mud) and not sure I trust a 30 year old tyre. So, I went with a new smoke & dart set to keep the gum wall look.

Finished off with a set of the original blue Hope ti skewers (sourced thanks to a kindly member on here). I also debated the ‘keep it entirely original’ ethic, but to me this project is about making it the bike I always lusted after as a kid and half the fun was flicking through the adverts in the back of MBUK debating which trinkets I would put on the dream steed!

Going to try and keep as close to original spec as possible but liked the idea some subtle blue to match the Avalanche graphics and will change the bar to a matching blue sub130 one. More of which later.

93F6FA09-E643-41B5-8930-F258B2F52C9B.jpeg 80133D33-A381-43C2-B8C4-8220CCEF88CD.jpeg 858F197F-167D-449C-8CCD-C8153140BD0A.jpeg

Looking good. I had a mate who had that exact colour scheme on his GT back in the day.

Looks in good condition, wheels still have the dork disk and reflectors 🙂

Always loved this paint jobs on the Gt's back then, it looks this one is in pretty good shape , i'm gonna follow this one for sure ;)

Very nice and great condition for a '91. I have a '92 and it's interesting that GT changed to True Temper tubes for that year. I would much prefer the Tange Prestige as that was always the pinnacle of quality in the steel MTB world in my eyes back then.

Love the avalanche the 91 and 92 colours and pain have always been a personal favourite, and yours looks in great shape,

if you swap the GT bar out for a pace 130 could a buy the Gt one off you I am after one for my 91 Xizang build

Having been hooked into mtb since I was a 12 year old with a hand me down Falcon Everest back in 1989, I always hankered after one of those real world hero mtb’s that you only saw in photos when looking at MBUK with your mates.

At school, a classmate worked endless odd-jobs over one summer and ended up the envy of everyone when he proudly rode in one day on a shiny new ‘91 Karakoram Elite. We all marvelled at the frankly awe inspiring paintwork (particularly having just re-painted my rusty Falcon with Hammerite) and ever since then I was always bewitched by those early GT paint jobs.

Fast forward ‘many’ years and after lurking on here marvelling at the awesome bikes and stories for many moons (but sadly with little real spare time to get involved), I finally decided to bite the bullet with a sanity project in lockdown.

After a lot of internet scouring, ebay watchlists etc, I finally spotted a half decent looking Daktari white 91 Avalanche in the right size. After a few questions to the eBay seller, it looked like a decent bet (being too far to go and view) and I was fortunate enough to win the auction.

Headed down to collect and was delighted to find that it had been very sparingly used and always garaged - still on its original tyres and missing only its original seat and post.

Been slowly collecting a few period correct parts with the idea of making it the bike I always lusted over as a kid (when Deore XT was akin to platinum compared to my workmanlike Exage Trail).

Finally started putting it together recently and really enjoying the mix of nostalgia and wonder at how simple yet effective bike engineering was back then. No hydraulics to bleed, no dropper posts or tyre sealant, just good old steel! Although if I’m being honest, I had forgotten what a faff cantilever brakes are to get (and stay) properly set up!

First photos as it was when collected, will add progress pics following.

View attachment 602219View attachment 602221View attachment 602222
Very nice! I had a 1992 Avalanche but I like the paintwork on yours more 👍

Thanks for the comments guys, really enjoying the project can’t wait to actually give it a go when finished.

It’s amazing the difference in size and geometry to current bikes. I recall back in the day carrying my ‘95 GT Tequesta up Helvelyn with a mate, over striding edge and then biking down the other side to Ullswater. Looking at the Avalanche now, i can’t believe we didn’t think twice about it with just rigid forks, cantilever brakes and 1.95 Tioga Psycho-K’s! I wouldn’t even consider a trail centre now without a dropper and these 26”wheels look hilariously small side by side with my current 29 x 2.6’s!

Half term gremlins are hampering my progress at the moment, but will getting back with the programme shortly…

Back