1990 GT Team Avalanche Restoration....hopefully...

Thanks, The paint renovation and clear coat came out much better than I thought it would. A couple of drips in places, but should be able to sort those out. And yes! Good spot!! The front tyre has the wrong rotation, I only noticed when I uploaded the pictures 😂 I have since fixed this :) .

I'm just over 5ft 7in too (171cm). I was worried the 18in might be too big, but it's not, and is great to ride, but I do have the seat right down. I think it is to do with proportions, I'm the same height as my brother (who is 5'10'') sitting down...I just have short legs :) .

A new shifter arrived today, so hopefully will see if that can fix things...
I'm surprised the saddle isn't up any taller if you're 171cm tall? Guess you must have short legs after all! ;)

I picked up a 1988 22" Hard Rock the other day to rob the components off it. Clearly it's too big for me as a proper MTB, but I could still ride it fine (with the saddle low!) and it was one seriously comfy ride vs. a typical early 90s machine with your head down and arse up position.

Leave the clear coat/lacquer for as long as possible to harden properly to enable you to cut-back the drips cleanly. Good luck with the new shifter!

I'm pretty much using this bike every day at the moment - so it's going to be my rider for the summer. I managed to pick up some Shimano XT NOS hubs so will rebuild the wheels over the winter, I have a few bolts and nuts to replace with newer, less corroded ones. So for now, it's kinda done.

I got a front puncture last week and whilst I loved the period accuracy of the Ritchey Megabite tyres, the were certainly showing their age (and made a noise like an angry hornet when riding on tarmac!!) So I took the opportunity to replace them with a Smoke and A Dart. It has transformed the ride...as you would expect. I also managed to find a NOS Shimano Sharkfin Chain deflector/protector which I have fitted

Snapseed (2).jpeg Snapseed (1).jpeg IMG_2216.jpeg FullSizeRender.jpeg Snapseed.jpeg

I have another GT Project (93 Zaskar) which I am starting now, this will be different, my last two were restoring entire bikes, and getting them as period correct as possible - The Zaskar will be restoring and then building up from a bare frame - so a bit more creative licence!!

Thanks for the comments and likes along the way with this one :)

I'm pretty much using this bike every day at the moment - so it's going to be my rider for the summer. I managed to pick up some Shimano XT NOS hubs so will rebuild the wheels over the winter, I have a few bolts and nuts to replace with newer, less corroded ones. So for now, it's kinda done.

I got a front puncture last week and whilst I loved the period accuracy of the Ritchey Megabite tyres, the were certainly showing their age (and made a noise like an angry hornet when riding on tarmac!!) So I took the opportunity to replace them with a Smoke and A Dart. It has transformed the ride...as you would expect. I also managed to find a NOS Shimano Sharkfin Chain deflector/protector which I have fitted

View attachment 760268View attachment 760271View attachment 760272View attachment 760277View attachment 760280

I have another GT Project (93 Zaskar) which I am starting now, this will be different, my last two were restoring entire bikes, and getting them as period correct as possible - The Zaskar will be restoring and then building up from a bare frame - so a bit more creative licence!!

Thanks for the comments and likes along the way with this one :)
Super nice and a nice daily!

Though you really need to lower that straddle cable on the front brake as the cable outers are messing with the brake alignment. And also messing with my bikey senses😂

Haha, yeah, i only noticed it when I posted the photo last night and it's been bugging me all day :LOL:. Will fix it this evening after work. Brakes aren't symmetrical either..... Some minor adjustments on the back brake too...I consider this the 'tuning up' phase... helps with my OCD!

(I was symmetrical when I originally set it up, but I expect its come out alignment with use etc.. plus I did have to really anchor up the other day because a dog ran in front of me)

Last edited:
Super nice and a nice daily!

Though you really need to lower that straddle cable on the front brake as the cable outers are messing with the brake alignment. And also messing with my bikey senses😂
🤣 🤣 🤣 I was going to comment on that, but resisted. But with these style hangers you are stuck with the length of they are because the one side has a nipple either end so is fixed in length. It should be visible on the back of the hanger... Otherwise switch to a more "traditional" hanger like on the U brake which means you can lower it. However...

The outer casing on your front brake looks too long and also your front QR is on the RHS, instead of the LHS...

Look what @Mod-Master has started!!!

We should get out more... ;)

Back