General 90s MTB Sizing Range?

moosemoosemoo

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here.

I was hoping you could share your knowledge regarding frame sizing. I know this topic has come up a lot but I'm not looking for a specific size for myself, in fact, I plan on selling some bikes I've refurbished and after a lot of research, I still can't seem to find an answer.

So far, I've found this Kona one which gives a range but with suspension forks. 1663953453188.png I'm hoping I can find something along the lines of "a XX” frame is generally recommended for riders around approx XXX-XXX". Of course, I know multiple other aspects of geometry play a role but I'm just trying to get a general range.

For some context, I've attached the first batch of bikes ranging from 1989-1994 and 47-57cm (19"-22"). Yes, I know, they're all Giant! It's because I'm living in NL and that's where they made them but I do have some other brands that aren't quite finished!

Looking forward to your responses,

All the best,

Moose

123 - 1.jpeg 123 - 2.jpeg 123 - 3.jpeg 123 - 4.jpeg 123 - 5.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking at the intersections of the down and top tubes with the head tube , you clearly have 3 small frames a small/medium
and a medium
Why don't you sit on them yourself and create your own sizing chart ? hopefully with the help of some shorter/taller friends
you could get an idea of the possible size range of each frame , bearing in mind that the future intended use of each bike
will largely influence the way they are set up ie a fully extended seat post and a lowered stem will give a ' bum in the air '
extreme riding position whereas as shown they look like a quick trip to the local pub bikes !
The bikes certainly look like new . Its unusual here in the UK , to see a continental style bike lock fitted to the seat stay

The Kona charge has rider height, that should act as a decent guide, you are overthinking the suspension component, it's about frame size.
Usually the size number indicates the seatpost length. I am approximately 5'10" and can fit a medium (17") to large (18.5") frame. I can choose either based on the feel I desire. Medium feel smaller and snappier, large is long and stable. A friend of mine is 5'0" and just rides whatever he can get on, says he just got used to nothing fitting him

It's all subjective and shapes are different.
Like @MattiThundrrr I'm ~5'10", I cannot really ride 17" frames, I have some, they're not good for more than 10 to 5 miles. Even 18.5" frames are a bit small, similar problems BUT they do look nice in that size.
I have to ride 19-20" frames. My 20" Kona is the comfiest of the lot and the 19" Kona is fine too, use it as a commuter.

My 18.5" Rocky Mountains are too small really, but the 20" is just right.

BUT a 20" (I think) PACE RC200 is not, it's horrible.

That's before we get to other brands who measure their frames differently...

Looking at the intersections of the down and top tubes with the head tube , you clearly have 3 small frames a small/medium
and a medium
Why don't you sit on them yourself and create your own sizing chart ? hopefully with the help of some shorter/taller friends
you could get an idea of the possible size range of each frame , bearing in mind that the future intended use of each bike
will largely influence the way they are set up ie a fully extended seat post and a lowered stem will give a ' bum in the air '
extreme riding position whereas as shown they look like a quick trip to the local pub bikes !
The bikes certainly look like new . Its unusual here in the UK , to see a continental style bike lock fitted to the seat stay
Thanks very much for the response.

I totally agree with the way their setup, I'm going for a relaxed and smooth ride more than anything.

Now about the sizing. I also agree with your assessment of most of the bikes being small. However, according to the Kona guide, for example, a 19" frame fits 5'8"-6'3", which by my standards (as a 5'8" guy), seems a little on the high side. The Kona guide does seem to concur with other googling I've done but not with getting-on-the-bikes that I've done with friends.

Am I missing something?!

Proper inside leg length (not trouser length) and possibly how Giant measure their frame sizes.

Effective top tube length is the other 'fit' size.
And in the end, the feel of them, flat top tubes like like Giant and Marin, compared to sloping top tubes like Kona and Rocky Mountain

Back