Info on Saracen Killi team required, now also require repair advice

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Assuming all goes well, I may have just become the new owner of a Saracen Killi team. The one with the super lovely rear wishbone stays and segmented forks in the lovely green colour.

I must admit I've always loved the look of the frame, what's not to love about the sculpted wishbone, and the rear seat tube/top tube and stay junction? And the classic retro segmented forks. And the lovely green colour.

I'm not usually one for catalogue spec builds, and may not go down that road but I'd like to know what it would have been specced with new, what tubing the frame is (I'm sure I've seen versions with 853 tubing and also range infinity, but could be wrong). What's the difference between the tubesets out of interest?

I'm hoping the paint is in decent condition as I'd like to keep at least the frame original, but am contemplating a more sympathetic, original ish build rather than my usual retro-mod style for some reason.

The frame doesn't appear to have canti mounts, so must be 97 ish era. I may go for a Brit themed build, with era appropriate upgrades such as hope and x-lite bits.

I just hope it's the right size as I've taken a punt and hoping the size quoted isn't right,.

So, to summarise, any info on the frame and spec gratefully received. Pics of builds most welcome for inspiration. Could do with knowing the seat post size too.

Is this the green one that was on eBay in Cheltenham? If so, it’s a Tange midsize/prestige mix of tubing and is the 1997 model; my dad had one and it was a lovely bike. came with a full deore lx groupset apart from the hubs which were STX RC. Also had ritchey bar and stem with mavic 217 rims. Good luck with the build; I have fond memories of this particular bike! There is the link to the catalog here for you https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/114232-2/Saracen_1997.pdf

Mine (‘96 853) in its previous (26” and some bounce) and current guises (700c and no bounce). It came to me in “Milka” mauve. And yes, I know the lawn needs seeing to in the last photo.

IMG_0837.jpeg IMG_5104.jpeg

Sooo, it looked good but looks can be deceiving. Previous owner was clearly not smart and fitted a crappy chainset and a BB that was too short, causing the granny ring to eat the chain stay.

So if I take this on, I'd need a repair doing. I assume the entire stay would need replacing, then I'd be looking at a repaint too.

Any advice on repairs and whether it would be worth it?

Attachments

• PSX_20230501_125133.jpg
    PSX_20230501_125133.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 49
Argos Racing in Bristol May be worth a call to see the viability of a repair; they are fantastic at frame restorations

It'll certainly cost more to repair than it's worth so it depends how much you want one I guess?

I'd probably be contacting the seller for a refund myself.

Back