First 'proper' ride after many yrs, many rants, some q's

Reading the BB7 manual now and where I was doing it so that the disc was dead centre between the pads when depressed, it can be done so, and makes sense that you do 2/3 static pad to 1/3rd active pad. Will try that. I have thought about hydraulics instead but the cable guides on the raven only allow 5mm cable housing to pass through them, nothing with ends prefitted. Will look in to anything hydraulic that works but doesn't have ends prefitted fo the hose.

I used to ride not far from you, and had similar problems with the Smoke / Dart pairing. My LBS recommended Onza Rip and Rail, which worked a treat.

Personally I'd try a Panaracer Fire XC Pro in 1.8. They will cut through thick mud and find something grippy on the bottom.

no offence bud, and please take this in the way its meant. I see two main faults
first - you dont really wanna do it. you've stated its for exercise, not pleasure. This time of the year isnt exactly fun for bike riding if your heart's not in it. dont be afraid to put the bike away and come back to it in spring with a renewed enthusiasm.
Second, ditch the gadgets and over emphasis on equipment. you dont need a satnav or MP3. LGF has it right with the navigating, and even if you make the odd mistake, you'll learn from it. MTB tyres are all a compromise. A top mud tyre will be crap on road - a downhill tyre will be crap for climbing. Get some mid range gen purpose o/road tyres and you'll be fine (or maybe get a roadbike and stay on road). New pedals need time to bed in.

Mr Footlong said:
much for pleasure/the rush as for exercise. Nothing beats getting covered from head to toe in gloop. I simply find it is far more enjoyable when I am doing it with friends. I think I am not loving all this new-fangled gear is the problem, 32 and sound like I am 82 lol..... As I said with the Satnav, I only used it as I really, really don't know the area. Bombing about the place in an Evo is one thing, riding through the middle of nowhere that you have never been to before is another ;).

That Shatnav is running the latest versions of everything, I just really, really think they should be left to road riding only, despite what Garmin think ;).

Cheers,

Nick :)

I have been thinking that too as I bought the bike assembled for the most part but the discs barely looked used at all. As much as I don't like the idea of having to bleed hydraulic brakes (on a car etc yes, easy peasy, just fine with that but just cba on a little bike tbh ;)) I think that might be the way forwards/backwards/sideways ;)

Mr Footlong":ixhkegi5 said:
I have been thinking that too as I bought the bike assembled for the most part but the discs barely looked used at all. As much as I don't like the idea of having to bleed hydraulic brakes (on a car etc yes, easy peasy, just fine with that but just cba on a little bike tbh ;)) I think that might be the way forwards/backwards/sideways ;)

hydraulic brakes are piss easy to bleed and set up right - you're just...

chicken.jpg

Lol honestly, it's just laziness. I have retrofitted race series Wilwood brakes to my old cars in the past (god I miss those) and customized other stuff like that, I just think of cable-based things on a bike being the norm but I am slowly forcing my mind to change ;)....

I am going to look at some in more details if I get the time later today, it's just making sure that whatever I get doesn't have ends prefitted to the hoses so I can get them through the cable guides on the frame..

Cheers for the input chaps, most appreciated.

I have to admit I will not ride SPD's or Clip in pedals off road, was ok with Clips and Straps but I like to feel like I can bail out if I need to.
I do have SPD's on the Muddyfox though as it is my commuter.
As far a GPS goes I can understand you wanting it when new to the area and I take my phone with me for 'oh crap where am I moments' but don't use the nav on it as a rule.
That does look like a nice route and I may take the family along it in the summer as I am one of those people that cuts back to almost zero cycling in the winter, mainly as I like to do it with the family and I don't want to put them off.

Carl.

Back