Exercising - some/a lot of advice needed- sorta bike related

Thanks again, just a bit late with the chair advice - we recently ordered 2 new chairs for the office and I suspect my colleagues would opt for the armchair option and not the kneeling one!

I will have a think about what I can do in work.

Thanks,

Richard

Hi Mr History,

I hadn't but now I have now using the power of Google. I would not relish standing at one for 10 hours though.

I am continuing my research regarding interval training vs steady state and it seems gains can be made quicker with interval training and in less time per session. I am also looking at the diet thing again, it appears that some fats are ok - news to me as a novice dieteer!

Richard

TGR":1mc163w0 said:
Good morning all,

Neil, I knew I had forgotten something in the original post (dementia again). I have no real set goals, what I would like is -
to be a lot fitter, this will improve concentration at squash and help with the cycling
more upper body strength as I think this is a weakness
loss of some fat although this would not be a priority
It sounds like all you want is a gentle recomp - perhaps slightly improve muscular size, decrease bodyfat a little - your main interest seems to be fitness to assist with other things. And in fairness, sounds like you've done a reasonable job at that already - perhaps only needs tweaking or a little consideration to continue improving.

As to upper body strength, calisthenics will only go so far (and by them I mean: press-ups, free squats (ie with no barbell on your shoulders, or additional weights used), situps / crunches - those sorts of things. Up to a certain baseline, the typically demand more of your muscular development, but after a bit - well doing x100 press-ups, for example, or x100 situps / crunches, is really just going to get you good at doing 100 press-ups or situps. Yes, you're burning energy, and there's some degree of impact in the muscles that are doing the work - but after a certain point, it becomes rather pointless for the reasons most want to do them.

So really, doing lots and lots of anything, unless it's an end in it's own right, is really just a motivation tool.

If you want to get stronger, realistically that's going to require some degree of weight training (there are alternatives, a la the strongman discipline - but if you're new to anything with weights, it's going to be difficult). Strength and muscular size, over a certain level is only going to come with progressive stimulus that simply won't be provided by calisthenics - it's the progressive resistance in weight training that's the key - once you've adapted to a certain weight and it becomes easier, you increase it. Ultimately, everything plateaus after a while, just there's further you can go using additional weight.

Whether that's something for you, or not, is going to largely dictate to what degree additional upper body strength can be achieved. All you can really do with calisthenics is some improvement over normal, and then, really, just become better at doing shed-loads of press-ups et al.

Regarding the interval training vs steady state - I was lead to believe that interval training is the best - personally, I prefer it do reduce boredom etc.
Plenty of people say plenty of things, and there's precious little to substantiate on X is better than Y. If you prefer intervals to SS then you're likely to do more and sustain more intervals - so for you it may very well be better for you.

The reality is, first what suits and is going to be sustained, and what suits the goals. All other things being equal, there simply isn't really any better / worse way. Intervals may be varying with higher intensity, and that may result in being briefer. SS may be more on a level and tolerable - there really is no superior option across the piece - it really does depend on goals, and also what people find most tolerable.

Cardio for me, might be any of: stationary bike, high incline treadmill, skipping / jump rope, heavy bag. Some years back, I used to like using cross-trainers, but now I find they (at least the ones at the gym I go to, which are Technogym I think) feel a bit odd and artificial in the movement for me.

If you prefer intervals and find it suits you, then stick with that. But don't do so, necessarily based on the rhetoric of comments on the internet (yes, including mine). Cardio either has direct demands suitable for your chosen sport, to enhance or sustain cardiovascular fitness, or to burn calories - or a warm, soothing blend.

I presume calisthenics is the plank - I was under the impression this was related to core fitness - a benefit to cycling and other activities. Perhaps, I have gotten that wrong.
I'm including press-ups, squats (just using bodyweight) and any other exercises you were doing just using bodyweight.

Re the diet - I am not really trying top lose any more weight but I am keeping an eye on my intake to ensure my weight does not creep up again.

My age - roughly I am 46 and a bit - I will be 47 at the beginning of January (post your cards before Christmas please - LOL).

Richard
As to diet, given you're not looking to do anything substantial in terms of your bodyweight, ensure your protein intake is sufficient for the amount of exercise you are doing. Protein intake is often substantially overdone by bodybuilders and weightlifters (in some part, because people generalise on things based on what some do in extremis who are typically also taking a metric feck-load of performance enhancing drugs), but also in other people who are involved in sports, it can be a little sub-optimal, too. Think of it like this - if you're exercising a lot, you'll likely need some additional protein, so be looking for a reasonable source in your meals.

Otherwise, fat is essential in your diet - food for thought (literally) for the 80s-inspired-let's-demonise-dietary-fat brigade. Yes, some forms are decidedly unhelpful, but otherwise, some dietary fat - ideally from some kind of fish is good (or if not, supplement with some EFAs / fish oil). After that, your diet need to be something you can live with, and there's nothing wrong with the occasional treat - but then it's probably better for you both psychologically as well as physically, for that to be something not too frequent (ie daily). Food as a reward can be what causes many people issues with their relationship with food.

Doesn't mean you should hate it either - just be wary that an occasional treat is probably better all round, than eating like Henry VIII on a daily basis.

highlandsflyer":3mwuynny said:
The one thing I suggest to everyone broaching the subject of life style change regarding exercise is to look at where you spend the bulk of your time. If you can integrate as much 'exercise' into your day to day life, whether it is cycling to work or using the stairs instead of the lift you will maintain whatever results your other efforts achieve.
This is where I'm going to nod my head and say - "What he said"

As we age, for all sorts of reasons, not least of all is hormonal decline, we tend towards becoming less active - which is like a self-fulfilling prophecy, the less we do, the less inclined we are to do, and the less we are capable of doing more.

I say take opportunities to be more active, choose stairs rather than lifts or escalators. Choose to walk or cycle to the shops if you're not getting much and / or it's not heavy / bulky. Walk to places nearby, rather than getting in the car. When you're feeling sluggish, get up and walk up and down the stairs a couple of times.

These can be habit forming things that stick with us, so even if - for whatever reason - you're not doing much in the saddle, you're still making active choices where you can. It's most likely to stave off not being able to be active when you get old.

Nobody has ever complained to me - "Do you know what? I'm just too damned fit..."

BITD we used circuits, weights, intervals, fartlek, rollers and all that with the sole purpose of getting from A to B as fast as possible........not a lot of fun though, I especially hated the rollers :(

I'm not a complicated person and my take on it would be if you want to be fitter then exercise more (what ever you can fit in the day and what you like to do) and if you want to lose weight then eat a more healthy diet.

Shaun

Re:

If you have a waistline of 31 inches at 46 I reckon you're doing just fine - and probably already fitter than 80% of the population. Bear in mind, that from your 40s onwards as a bloke you start going into the riskier zone for heart attacks etc (even if you've led a healthy life) so it is important not to overdo it either. If you're planning a considerable ramp up - do get yourself checked out by your Doc.

Exercise is more likely to be done regularly if turned into a habit (or if you want a better word - ritual). Doing it at the same time each day, or days of the week means it's more likely to be done (a bit like brushing your teeth just before you go to bed - it becomes automatic).

Another school of thought is simply to find opportunities for accidental exercise e.g. a walk at lunch time, parking a little further from work (or get off a little earlier on the bus). I work from home and have a standing desk, and sitting one. I do my meetings at my standing desk (often via video conferencing) although with checking emails - but sustained tasks are done sitting.

I mix cycling and running personally, with the odd bit of walking - and I try and do something everyday.

Foodwise, blokes tend to be really bad at consuming enough veggies and fruit - and we probably eat more processed snacks than we should. Even just shifting that balance a bit could help a lot of us.

Thanks to Neil, Shaun and Greencat for the input. More food for thought I think.

I will do a little more research and see what I come up with.

On a connected point - Rest Days - it seems from what I have read that muscles only develop when they are resting. If I do 'exercises' on a Monday - should I rest on a Tuesday? OR, would it be better to do the 'exercises' on a Monday and turbo trainer on a Tuesday with exercises on Wed and so on? Third option, although probably too time consuming, do exercises and turbo on the same day?

I don't want to overdo it and my plans must be flexible to meet with my squash partners free time and my work shift pattern (no pattern until Jan 1st) so I could actually exercise on a Tuesday morning, play squash in the afternoon and 5 a side in the evening - too me that is a bit much so I would like to plan it a bit better but where do those pesky rest days go???

Thanks all so far, and I hope you are having a relaxing weekend - almost home time for me,

Richard

TGR":18t92vp8 said:
Thanks to Neil, Shaun and Greencat for the input. More food for thought I think.

I will do a little more research and see what I come up with.

On a connected point - Rest Days - it seems from what I have read that muscles only develop when they are resting. If I do 'exercises' on a Monday - should I rest on a Tuesday? OR, would it be better to do the 'exercises' on a Monday and turbo trainer on a Tuesday with exercises on Wed and so on? Third option, although probably too time consuming, do exercises and turbo on the same day?
There's lots of studies on this, but really more relate to specifics.

Some of it will come down to frequency, and some how hard you're training. And there are metrics used to get an idea on how you are dealing with recovery (temp, RHR, that sort of thing).

But unless you are going somewhere, and somewhere reasonably serious in this, there's a danger in over-thinking it. After a certain point, calisthenics will have a less intense impact on you, and over time, sustainability matters.

I'd consider establishing the frequency, per week, you want to do turbo, and same with the other exercises, and try not to overdo things on certain days, so work out a reasonable schedule.

Results will tell you whether you're getting it about right - if the scales are where you want them to be, and your waist reducing, after that, consider whether you're feeling like death, or floating on air.

TGR":18t92vp8 said:
I don't want to overdo it and my plans must be flexible to meet with my squash partners free time and my work shift pattern (no pattern until Jan 1st) so I could actually exercise on a Tuesday morning, play squash in the afternoon and 5 a side in the evening - too me that is a bit much so I would like to plan it a bit better but where do those pesky rest days go???
Best is when you feel you need it.

BUT... I've had some of my best, most epic workouts on days I felt rotten, worn out, and like I was dragging myself there, and could have easily sat at home.

It's natural to be enthusiastic with some new regime - and enthusiasm sometimes has people throwing themselves into something, resulting in them getting fatigued and possibly with injuries, then becoming de-motivated.

Add workouts or sessions gradually, and measure yourself on how keen you are to keep that up, with adding to it, rather than starting out with an ambitious schedule, starting with gusto, then finding that after a few weeks the cumulative effect is more draining than you'd imagined.

Re:

Neil

Thanks again for the insightful response. I do appreciate it and obviously I owe you a beer or perhaps a protein shake!!

Pondering on (as always) and I might have a beer shortly as I designated today as a rest day!!

Richard

Back