What are your retro bike plans for 2024.

Mine are to finally cable up + finish my 1992, finally tidy up my 1988 and finally strip and re-build my 1989!

View attachment 809533View attachment 809534View attachment 809535
I have two 92' and 07' clockworks to paint and build, they are on my list for this year along with my Kona lava dome for singlespeed.
I have a silver and green shiny patina I take on holiday etc, so I figure on going Purple mettallic like a p7 I saw with the newer , purists would say not proper clockwork, and proper orange and white fade on the older one. I can wet paint, I am pretty good at it, and have the kit..
But colour choice is holding me up currently.. ever painted or touched up the older orange? I know the white is pearescent and thats easy enough, and ive done some, and will do some more trial runs with the airbrush on plastic waste pipe to get a feel for fade.. but its a lot of work to then not be happy with the orange and I dont have decent og paint to get mixed, as the '07 was black and the '92 was badly over painted.
Apologies if ive asked this before, I recognise the first picture, so you have replied to one of my ramblings before possibly?!

I have two 92' and 07' clockworks to paint and build, they are on my list for this year along with my Kona lava dome for singlespeed.
I have a silver and green shiny patina I take on holiday etc, so I figure on going Purple mettallic like a p7 I saw with the newer , purists would say not proper clockwork, and proper orange and white fade on the older one. I can wet paint, I am pretty good at it, and have the kit..
But colour choice is holding me up currently.. ever painted or touched up the older orange? I know the white is pearescent and thats easy enough, and ive done some, and will do some more trial runs with the airbrush on plastic waste pipe to get a feel for fade.. but its a lot of work to then not be happy with the orange and I dont have decent og paint to get mixed, as the '07 was black and the '92 was badly over painted.
Apologies if ive asked this before, I recognise the first picture, so you have replied to one of my ramblings before possibly?!

No problem mate. TBH you can't go far wrong as they changed the shade of orange over the years from almost neon to a more carrot colour. somewhere in-between is probably the sweet spot but I'll take some snaps of mine and send them over.

I'll be getting my Orange R8 finished in the next couple of weeks and aim to get out riding as much as I can.
Any fettling will be limited to upgrading parts on my '94 fire mountain.

Get out of the retrobike game.. I've built up a 95 Hei Hei as a "gravel" bike, and a 96 king kahuna as a restomod, and I'm officially done.

Though I do have a 98 Blizzard I'd like to restore to original status; I do have all the original parts for it handy.

2024 plans are to:-
1-Finish refurbing and rebuild the Kona lava dome
20240105_135901.jpg
2- Hopefully find the rest of the parts i need to finish my "brit build" Pace in time to take to the Malverns.
20231021_125451.jpg
3- Get back into riding more offroad with the intension of racing the retro race at the Malverns...Hopefully with a few of my old team mates from when we rode for the Royce uk factory team

I see loads of decluttering plans... You are going to flood the market with stock, CRC will never recover :)

My plans:
-get a good deal on a tiny 26" for my oldest son. He just upgraded to a 24", so that is my excuse to waste ridiculous time checking the classifieds for a super deal on the next size. Then overhaul it and store it, ready for when he needs it in 3 years time :rolleyes:
-This weekend I am collecting a full sized folder. We don't have a car so we need something that travels for free on trains. Then overhaul it, although it looks as if it has barely been used
-Get a spare bike for when I'm at the in-laws. Don't really need it as my father in-law upgraded long time ago to an e-bike and I can use his older bike, but who needs a reason? I have an appointment to check an early 90's full XT mtb next week (Winter is great, less supply but also less competition)
-Do a 1 week cycling trip with all the family on the Altmuhl river in Germany in Spring
-The casual bike flipping here and there while checking the classifieds (see point 1) to keep the craving on check while financing the maintenance of the keeper bikes

No need to declutter, I already did in 2023, and my parts bin is pretty moderate as I only upgrade whenever something breaks. I just have to sell the 16" bike of the second kid, since he's upgrading to the 20" his brother now left available. I have my "modern" mtb for sale at a stupid price in case some fool wants it, but I doubt it since it's a 26" and as we all know they don't work 🤔

Latest posts

Back