Exercising - some/a lot of advice needed- sorta bike related

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Good evening fellow RBers,

The Background

As a few you you will know, I have been ridiculously busy with work this year (too much work and too little time off). The results of this are many - no family time, all household stuff done in a panic, cycling has not happened, my 1973 Gazelle has not been touched since February and numerous events missed. This will change on 1st January, 2015 when I should be reverting to a normal shift pattern with definite days off. I cannot wait, the 60 - 80 hour weeks are long and when they are mostly night shifts running over weekends you may understand my annoyance.

As a result of this, I put on some weight at the start of the year - due to eating rubbish. I decided to diet, following a 'no rubbish' plan which I worked out for myself - no white bread, no cheese, no milk chocolate, no crisps, no chips, fried stuff avoided where possible - all sensible stuff. The result was I lost 2 stones and dropped my waist size from 34'' to 31'' ish. I still carry some of my keg but it is drastically reduced in size.

35 Days Ago

As per the 35 days ago subtitle, I was messing about with my new iPhone and looking at Apps. I found an app entitled 30 Day Ab Challenge. I had a look at it and I thought I would give it a try. In the bumf it said something like 'what are you doing over the next 30 days, why not try it' so I decided to give it a go. In the app, i noticed it linked to two other apps - a 30 Day Squat Challenge and a 30 Day Push Up Challenge so, again, I decided to give them a go too.

It all started quite well, the various exercises were not too hard - they were not easy, but i managed to complete them. The app gives you a list of things to do for that day and you cannot look ahead until you click that you have completed the previous day. Due to my mental issues, I decided when I was doing the exercises and then looked at what I had to do. I did not look at the next day as I think I would make excuses not to do it!

So, after 30 days (well - 32) I completed the tasks. I do not want to spoil this for anyone who may try them but they get harder as you go on and take a lot longer to complete. You do get rest days and they really are needed. Nuff said regarding the exercises.

At the end of 30 days, my keg had changed shape, I was going to take pics but decided against it as it is unsightly! But, my keg is now 'defined' - there are two 'dips' on each side and a groove running down the centre. Underneath the layer of fat is hard - very hard and you can feel the muscles below. If the layer of fat was gone, I might have a six pack!! So, I am happy enough, although I am not so sure how to get rid of the fat layer but I can live with it at the moment.

Apres 30 Challenges

Over the past 2 months I have started playing squash - I try for twice a week - even if one session is on my own. I also play (maybe stretching the definition of play) 5-a-side football weekly. So this is my aerobic exercise. As I don't have a defined plan, I have done exercises each night since the challenges finished. I am resistant to going to a gym so I will do everything at home.

The Questions -

I have read a bit about interval training, does it work? What sort of things should i be doing? What intervals etc.

Should I be focussing on fitness, muscle building, strength, etc or all of them?

Should I plan my exercises ahead of time and then where/when should i take rest days?

I have my bike on the turbo and plan to use it - should i mix the exercises and the bike on different days or both on the same day?

Any other hints and tips regarding exercising are appreciated.

In closing

For those of you who have read this far, thanks; for those of you planning the 'TGR's No Rubbish Diet' - I did not mention one thing - IF, and only IF, I wanted a beer, a chinese, a bag of crisps, cheese or cheese related product - I had it BUT, I tried to have all the bad stuff on the same night. So on a Saturday night, if i was off and thirsty, I would have beer and maybe crisps - I did not worry about my diet at all. It is only one day and providing it was not every night (and it never is) I reckoned that in the grand scheme of things, it would not affect the weight loss. I also think it may help a bit as it slowed the weight loss a little bit.

I expect I will have more queries regarding the exercises but there is enough above to be getting on with.

Thanks all and I hope you all have a great weekend,

Richard

p.s. The plank is not easy!!

Off topic already!!!!!!!! Is this a new OT record?

Did I mention that I love all the stuff I have stopped eating? Now you are just teasing me.

Richard

TGR":b7gsilpj said:
The Questions -

I have read a bit about interval training, does it work? What sort of things should i be doing? What intervals etc.

Should I be focussing on fitness, muscle building, strength, etc or all of them?

Should I plan my exercises ahead of time and then where/when should i take rest days?

I have my bike on the turbo and plan to use it - should i mix the exercises and the bike on different days or both on the same day?

Any other hints and tips regarding exercising are appreciated.

In closing

For those of you who have read this far, thanks; for those of you planning the 'TGR's No Rubbish Diet' - I did not mention one thing - IF, and only IF, I wanted a beer, a chinese, a bag of crisps, cheese or cheese related product - I had it BUT, I tried to have all the bad stuff on the same night. So on a Saturday night, if i was off and thirsty, I would have beer and maybe crisps - I did not worry about my diet at all. It is only one day and providing it was not every night (and it never is) I reckoned that in the grand scheme of things, it would not affect the weight loss. I also think it may help a bit as it slowed the weight loss a little bit.

I expect I will have more queries regarding the exercises but there is enough above to be getting on with.

Thanks all and I hope you all have a great weekend,

Richard

p.s. The plank is not easy!!
I was going to answer your questions in order, but it seemed to sound a bit pedantic, so I'll first question:-

What are your goals, what do you want to achieve - specifically?

Is it greater fitness (cardiovascular), improved strength, reduced bodyfat, be better on the bike, drop some pounds, or a blend of all of them?

Or is it more Lester-Burnham-esque - you just want to look good naked?

That's going to have a little bearing on what may be of more relevance.

In terms of cardio done purely as a means of balancing the calories in, and to aid weight loss, steady-state or intervals, really doesn't make a heap of difference. Some people are happier doing steady-state, some find that insanely tedious and prefer intervals.

Otherwise, if you're exercising to be better on the bike, then as much simulation or focusing on the bits you're not so strong at.

As to things like calisthenics - well they improve things over baseline, but just really plateau, then. If you want to improve either strength or muscular size, then you have to do exercise to stimulate that, rather than turning resistance training into something more cardiovascular.

As to the diet - strict most of the time, and a cheat day / night ever so often, there's nothing that wrong with it, whilst you're still trying to lose weight, so long as you don't go too bat-shit crazy. The more scientific you work on that aspect, typically the better the results, but truth be told, unless you're going to do a fair amount of research in it, focus on the big things, and on an on-going basis, ensure it's reasonable and not too overly strict you'll eventually find yourself rejecting it.

Define your goals, be quite prescriptive over it, then tackle it like that.

Just one other question, as it can have quite some bearing on things like satiety and cravings (more to do with naturally declining hormone levels) - roughly how old are you?

Good morning all,

Neil, I knew I had forgotten something in the original post (dementia again). I have no real set goals, what I would like is -
to be a lot fitter, this will improve concentration at squash and help with the cycling
more upper body strength as I think this is a weakness
loss of some fat although this would not be a priority

Regarding the interval training vs steady state - I was lead to believe that interval training is the best - personally, I prefer it do reduce boredom etc.

I presume calisthenics is the plank - I was under the impression this was related to core fitness - a benefit to cycling and other activities. Perhaps, I have gotten that wrong.

Re the diet - I am not really trying top lose any more weight but I am keeping an eye on my intake to ensure my weight does not creep up again.

My age - roughly I am 46 and a bit - I will be 47 at the beginning of January (post your cards before Christmas please - LOL).

Richard

Re:

Sounds like you have it sorted anyway! Thank you for not sharing pictures of your 46 year old six pack :shock: :shock:

Back