ex Tim Gould Peugeot / Rourke 753 Cylocross race bike

doctor-bond

Feature Bike
Oops I did it again. After promising not to, I couldn’t resist putting in a low bid on a recent ’Bay auction for what was billed as one of Tim Gould’s old CX race frames, and to my surprise, no one else bid.

That’s prolly because, a) there was no provenance, and b) it’s going to need some work …

AFDD1FF1-22E0-4B72-9766-781CAC487CDF.jpeg

Having given it a good once-over:

It is likely 753 as billed weighing in at 1740g, having an old-style 753 respray sticker and being incredibly pingy.
It will need a new driveside chainstay and forks, but otherwise looks sound.
It has campag dropouts and no frame number save a “55” size-stamp.

As to provenance, I was uncertain but hopeful: as I found with the previous Gould MTB I revived, taking a punt makes some sense: who really would go to the trouble of faking such a thing, Occam’s razor, if it quacks, etc.

So I set about the internet, and have turned up some intriguing info.

6BBE5A8A-93E0-4979-99EE-E73753DA3C74.jpeg

Exhibit it a ^^ decals. In the hope of getting a date for this, I trawled old Peugeot catalogues and Peugeot bike images to find a match. So far …. nothing. It’s similar to many 80s designs, but not the same. Has anyone seen a ’tail-less’ stylised lion like this? Doesn’t match any of the suspects below.

7A089566-1E99-478B-875B-B0D5BB70D42C.jpeg

Nor do the frame ‘stripes’ match anything I can find on a real Peugeot Decal set. So what happened? Did someone commission some ’wrong’ stickers to put together a tribute bike? Hmmm. Quack.

And then I happened across a Tim Gould appreciation group on Facebook: you might know it. I’m not a natural FBer but it’s a good group and I’ll repost this stuff there. It turned up a couple of great clues:

First a late 80s MTB photo (can anyone recognise the event? It’s not tagged on FB). Check out the decals: they match the strip and my frame. I think the strip is 1988/89. Need to confirm.

C1FB0861-0113-4D15-8DFC-D982EF2E9D70.jpeg

Next, the FB thread had tagged this frame last time it went through ebay in 2021: someone mentioned that the Peugeot CX bikes were actually Brian Rourke built. So a quick email to the incredibly helpful Wayne at Rourke, and indeed, in the late 80s they produced a batch of CX frames for the Peugeot race team. The likely dates are summer 1987.

All of which leads me to the hypothesis that this is a 1987 Rourke-built, Peugeot-badged, Gould-raced 753 frame, campaigned in 87/88, then re sprayed with the new strip for 1989. Glad I took a punt.

😎

Last edited:
Interesting, I saw that frame on ebay and it reminded me of a similarly decaled vitus 979 frame I have in my stock of far too many Peugeots! , sorry I don`t know much about MTB`s but it`s no surprise they went to Brian Rourke. Anyway I`ve had this frame a couple of years and was informed it had previously been owned by a Peugeot sponsored rider from about the late 80`s and have never been able to find out any more info , sadly the head badge decal is missing from this frame. At least you know the decal design is not unique !

Attachments

• vitusblue.jpg
    vitusblue.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 20
Good find :) 753 chainstays paper thin near the BB, there's rust on the left chainstay so might need both?

Lovely frame. I would have bought it if it had been smaller. Before the seller sent me the frame measurements i'd already planned to turn it into a disc brake frame and have a disc fork made for it.

Good luck with - a real classic at a fab price, even allowing for repairs.

That is an interesting pic @marshalllucky The same, what to call them - ‘slashed chevrons’ - but without the yellow. The Roberts MTB also had ‘slashed’ ones, but again, slightly different.

C41632EF-FA37-4935-8FAB-8FCA75CDF340.jpeg

Feels to me that the team bikes used designs to go with the race strips rather than mirroring the designs of the catalogue bikes. I wonder if Peugeot kept them on file somewhere?

The frame is going off to @danson67 for inspection and repair, so we’ll see what’s needed. Despite being thin, 753 is tough (see bike above): I'd definitely trust a 30 year old used 753 frame over a similar vintage carbon one (and that’s not because carbon is weak, but because steel takes the knocks of use better and fails more obligingly). 🙂

@wynne thanks for outing it (I’m grateful it wasn’t your size!) Think the build is going to be traditional/ euro CX.

First I need to find a way of capturing and copying those decals.

No worries. Might you be able to preserve most of the decals and just respray the chainstays and bb? I wouldn't want to lose the originals.

Latest posts

Back