EX ANC HALFORDS TEAM BIKE - STEVE JONES PEUGEOT 531 PRO

Bottom bracket removed, looks like a super record ? surprising easy for a bike that hasn`t been on the road in 20+ years .Everything on this bike has been so well kept and so well maintained so it`s coming apart beautifully. I am looking for a mint or NOS C-record chainset. The current BB spindle is 113mm but I believe the C-record would need a 111mm , can anyone confirm this. I have also bought a white turbo saddle and am intending to dye it orange as would have been fitted originally . I will be experimenting with an older white saddle first, has anyone ever done this ??. I have some very nice C record brake lever on the way with almost immaculte white hoods. I reckon it may take me the rest of the year due to financial restraints but it will be well worth the wait.

Attachments

• resized22.jpg
    resized22.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 1,355
  • resized23.jpg
    resized23.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,355
Bottom bracket stamped 68-SS and cup design looks like a later 1045 Nuovo Record trying it's ancestry back to the 1960's

Shaun

Re: Re:

marshalllucky":2w9qos71 said:
I sent an email to Steve Jones with a picture of the Peugeot. He sent me a nice reply but he couldn`t confirm if he had ever ridden this bike , he actually stated that as far as he recalls the original bikes supplied from Peugeot were replaced with custom made frames by Brian Rourke! . I wonder if my bike was one of the original supplied and maybe never used?? the condition of the frame suggests it hasn`t seen much action But there has been his name on the frame , the shadow of which can still be seen, it has the number holder brazed on and is clearly not a bike Peugeot ever sold off the shelf. I am still of the opinion this was built for the team. Can anyone shed any light on this? , has anyone seen another 531pro like this ? . The colour is pearl white although with my camera flash it looks silver in the photo. It has NOT been resprayed, this is the original paint and condition. I still intend to steam ahead with the upgrade of the incorrect parts to team spec. I have removed the chain and it looks as thought the bottom bracket has some slight play so will strip it down and take a look , it looks like a super record BB. I am now on the lookout for C Record chainset, mechs, brakes and levers, I`d better get saving !!.

The Rourke connection seems plausible given the ANC/Halfords Phil Griffiths connection. You could try to contact Phil at Yellow Ltd (the Pinarello importers). They are based in Staffordshire not far from me. I think he was running the team at the time so I'm sure he would be able to shed some light on it

http://www.yellow-limited.com/page.php?name=contact-us

Re:

Hi

Does this have a serial number on the BB shell? I've two Peugeot 531 Pros, as well as a few other old Peugeots, all with their conventional serial numbers apart from one of the 753s. Never understood why this is, wondered if perhaps a special build, team issue, etc?

Not seen one this colour before and certainly not seen number holder brazed on one of these bikes. A good supposition that it's a team bike.

531 Pro is a great frameset and have never understood the views that it's fragile and not resilient. One of my sons uses a 531 Pro as his runaround at uni in Leeds, and when I say 'runaround', he was a good mountain biker in his time and still enjoys jumping kerbs, running up and down steps, etc, but the only bits he ever breaks are the wheels, the levers and the derailleur. The one I run, admittedly not that often these days, a slightly less firm ride than 753 and great for easier days. Here's a photo:

Good luck with the build - a stunning frame.

Attachments

• IMG_4547 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_4547 (640x480).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,252
Re:

Nice bike, I had another 531pro which I sold on ebay last year and instantly regretted it.I gave it a quick makeover before it went including new lever hoods. It had full Mavic SSC groupset so its nice to be looking for Campag bits this time . I do love these old Peugeots.

Attachments

• 531progrey1.jpg
    531progrey1.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 1,221
  • 531progrey2.jpg
    531progrey2.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 1,221
Omas Saba headset on the ANC is smooth as silk, no play in it whatsoever , nicest action headset I have ever owned. I was not familiar with Omas but after a bit of googling it seems they were pro spec back in the day and were considered to be the best even better than Super Record ? . they seem to fetch silly money on ebay, so I will be keeping it on. It`s just more evidence that this is not a run of the mill Peugeot and increases my belief that this did originally belong to the ANC team.

Attachments

• omas saba3.jpg
    omas saba3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,185
  • omas saba2.jpg
    omas saba2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,185
Re:

C Record chainset purchased and arrived from the great ebay . Not new but very very nice and little sign of use, will compliment the bike perfectly.My only concern is the current BB which I have just cleaned and fitted new bearings to is 112.5 axle and I really need a 111mm C record one , it will have to do for now as I can`t wait to fit the new chainset. I recently bought C record brake levers and some fabulous mint Chorus brakes ( just cannot afford a mint set of cobalto brakes and the Chorus brakes look so much better ). photos to follow, I am so excited about this build :)

Attachments

• crecord.jpg
    crecord.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 1,076
Looks team issue 86/87 to me I've got Joey's ex bike and did more research than a PhD student restoring it so any help give me a shout I've got lots of details.

The main one just to put this to bed team bikes where made by Peugeot in France, and they had frame builders in the factory making team frame (confirmed by ex ANC mechanic). Some riders however also had frames made by well know UK frame builders and painted up in team colours (Joey rode Dolan's). You'll see such riders on both team issue & bespoke.

None Peugeot team frames are easily identified by the logo's, paint, and lugs which vary from those supplied from France

Back