EX ANC HALFORDS TEAM BIKE - STEVE JONES PEUGEOT 531 PRO

Wow, nice job.
I know it is an old thread but I have just about finished an homage bike. Unlike the original poster, my bike has the actual tdf wheels but the bike is otherwise just a copy. The frame is actually a 1987 Giant built Repco. Repco is an Australian firm not unlike Halfords curiously. I am in Australia and Omar (Kvetslav) Palov is a friend. Another curious fact, after building this I found out he actually raced with the Repco team after returning to Oz in 1988. Repco is not generally a name anyone would associate with proper race bikes.
A few bits to finish on this bike. I have applied ANC Halfords decals afriend made and waiting for some cobalto brakes I can afford. It is not period correct with the gears, I have syncro shifters with an indexing rear mech. The seat I sprayed with orange acrylic paint I had...works fine in case you want to try it.

Re:

Hi Koankoen , I like it , bloody good job ! . I still have my ANC 531pro and I finally located some almost mint first gen cobalto brakes last summer. It became an obsession that has cost me a fortune although the wheels still elude me !. I now have two original coca cola 87 TDF bottles, one of which was date stamped from the Berlin stages so is mega rare. I understand Kvetoslav ( Omar ) rode for SEFB in 1988 the following year he left ANC. I have just bought one of his ex team mates Peugeot frames ( Bernard Chesneau ) from Belgium which I have recently started as a thread. Both Palov and Chesneau moved to SEFB after ANC folded. There was an ex team ANC 753 sold on ebay Australia about 5 years back and I did wonder if it was Omars? . Anyway its nice to see your bike and if you see Omar soon tell him he is not forgotten, a bloody hero in my book. I often think there may be dozens of ex team ANC bikes left somewhere as they had around 60 different riders wear the jersey during their time, not all would say ANC on the top tube as the same spec bikes were used by the other `Action sports` ( ANC Halfords team owner ) teams Lycra Halfords and Interrent.

Attachments

• anc219.jpg
    anc219.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 389
  • ANC212.jpg
    ANC212.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 385
Haha...I know the obsession well,though I am usually too cheap to get such authentic parts as period correct bidons. The c record and chorus bits I found are from early 90s. But my bike rides really well on the campagnolo pave rims even with cheap tubs. I think Omar gave them to me way back when he owned a bike shop so that I would buy a lovely pair of vittoria tubs he had had in the shop for ages. :) I did and soon after I won a local road race on them. This was a rare thing for my alsoran time as a club racer.
Omar told me they were also given carbon/alloy road bikes before the tour...he thought they were Peugeot rebranded Vitus frames but they all decided the feel was too different to risk racing on without having any time on them in training.

Re:

Yes Indeed,as well as 753 and 531pro (as spares) they actually took off the peg Peugeot PX979 DU ( vitus 979 ) and PY10FC frames ( Fibre du carbone ) to the tour . I have attatched photos showing Steve Swart riding his 979 in the team time trial in Berlin. Also a photo of Omar passing the Tom Simpson memorial up Mt Ventoux on his PY10FC. The framesets were straight from stock. It`s true none of the British riders seemed to like them and stuck to the steel bikes, Guy Gallopin used the Fibre Du Carbones a lot during his tour. Also a photo of the four finishers Elliott, Timmis, Gallopin and of course Omar on the Champs Elysees. There is so much myth and legend that they were ill equipped but it wasn`t Peugeot that let them down , they ensured they had the best available the problem was they had so little time to prepare and they could not get their hands on disc wheels or get time trial frames built in time for the tour ,Tony Capper was even quoted in an interview saying they couldnt even source them at full retail price , although in hindsight he probably couldnt afford them :-(

Attachments

• 979ANC.jpg
    979ANC.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 347
  • parisANC.jpg
    parisANC.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 347
  • MtVentouxomar.jpg
    MtVentouxomar.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 348
Back