EX ANC HALFORDS TEAM BIKE - STEVE JONES PEUGEOT 531 PRO

Re:

Wow, this thing is coming together quicker than I thought, chainset fitted and the brakes, I do intend to keep the Chorus brakes, I think they really compliment the chainset . The Cinelli bars actually have holes for the aero cables, anyone know why it is more common to run the cables on the outside of the bars but under the tape instead of using the pre drilled holes? ? am I likely to struggle trying to do this or is there a technique or trick to get it to come out of the other hole?.

Attachments

• ANCPUG20.jpg
    ANCPUG20.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 1,318
  • ANCPUG21.jpg
    ANCPUG21.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 1,305
Re:

Just want to thank EVERYONE that has replied to this thread this is the first time I have properly used this forum and I`m not sure how to properly use it. I don`t want to appear ignorant, every reply is really well received and appreciated so Thanks guys.

Brake cables fitted, managed to route the cables through the pre drilled holes in the Cinelli bars , bar tape installed. Just need a C record derailleur and a decent chain and probably some new tyres...oh and the pedals (that`s another £500 to find) . I also need a Peugeot chainstay transfer for the drive side. I may buy a cheaper Victory derailleur as I just cant afford a NOS C Record yet but I am pleased with it so far.

Attachments

• ANC22703.jpg
    ANC22703.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 1,130
  • ANC32703.jpg
    ANC32703.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 1,132
  • ANC42703.jpg
    ANC42703.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 1,131
  • ANCPalov1987.jpg
    ANCPalov1987.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 986
  • turboorange1.jpg
    turboorange1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 981
  • ANCPUG22.jpg
    ANCPUG22.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 979
  • ANCPUG23.jpg
    ANCPUG23.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 978
Re:

Very nice indeed.

Even if it isn't a pro frame (so what anyway but I think it is for what it is worth) it is a beautiful bike, and the Campagnolo looks awesome on the pearl white.

NOW FINISHED ( FOR NOW ANYWAY ) ANC HALFORDS TEAM BIKE

OK so here is the finished article. Road tested it today after fitting new bearings in the rear hub and a new close ratio Maillard freewheel fitted. I also ended up replacing the Campagnolo BB with a Tifosi sealed bearing unit , I just couldn`t get the Campag to run smoothly and silently enough and couldn`t really afford a NOS C record BB with all the other stuff I had to buy. The Tifosi runs like a dream though so whats lost in originality and beauty is made up in functionality.
I have to say I am delighted with the bike. I know the brakes should be Cobalto and as soon as I can find and afford a mint or new old stock set then I will upgrade. What do I do with it now? . I don`t do much road cycling and have spent so much time and money finding new old stock or mint parts that I could not get back what I have invested but hey it IS a piece of cycling history. After lots of research I have concluded that this was originally Steve Jones bike ( I have captured the name shadow on the top tube one of my earlier photos ) , it was made in the Peugeot factory in January 1986 ( from serial number) and probably saw out it`s team life used as a spare team bike after SJ`s name was removed ( who would remove a riders name after it had left the teams hands as this would diminish its value and authenticity ? ) . It`s identical to one Kvetoslav Palov rode for ANC in the TDF ( as well as 531 pro he also used a fibre du carbone which I think the team had a couple of ) so maybe this frame was taken to the TDF as a spare ( they did have 9 riders so must have took every spare bike / frame they had? ) . I also have a copy of cycling weekly from Feb 20 1986 showing Malcom Elliot riding a full 531 pro alongside Tony Capper in the team Granada .I think probably the first batch of 1986 frames were 531 pro and then new 753 frames built for the team for 1987 ? . I will of course never know what part my bike played in ANC`s history but it`s a logical thought process and lots of research that brought me to my conclusions. All team bikes have to end up somewhere, I think I just got lucky and found one that had been mothballed for decades.

Attachments

• ANCFIN2.jpg
    ANCFIN2.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 938
  • ANCFIN4.jpg
    ANCFIN4.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 937
  • ANC57.jpg
    ANC57.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 771
  • ancfinal2.jpg
    ancfinal2.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 734
  • ancfinal6.jpg
    ancfinal6.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 734
AndyMart":17shl7dx said:
That looks great, how did you dye the saddle?

Hi, Thanks, I used Fiebings Leather Dye, about £6.00 off ebay . Its really easy to do. I then sealed it with Resolene Acrylic sealant.

Back