1993 Cannondale M800 BOTE

Thanks so much for the cautionary advice and pointers from you both, very much appreciated.

Overall way my plan is to be as involved as much as possible and lean on other people for their advice and experience, I know a couple locals with a few wheel builds under their belts. Possibly I'll do the lacing and have that checked, tensioned and trued by another. I also welcome all advice for my fellow RM'rs here 😁

I've always wanted to build wheels and have to admit my attempts to true up wheels in the past have been hit and miss.

As mentioned previously the current Mavic 231 rim paired to the LX hub used to belong to the Ringle hub I can now rebuild but it uses the spokes from it's previous rim/build, the rim transfer seemed to work okay, I've ridden this rim transferred wheel a number of times (not in anger) with not issues.

I dug out the spokes from the original Mavic/Ringle built wheel. I'll presume built with experienced hands but one never knows. I'd assume a previous owner purchasing this hub rim combo BITD may have wanted it done right for sure. I do not have any experience riding or even spinning the wheel in my hands before it was dis-assembled though. The broken flange is on the drive side presumably from a chain jammed between the cogs and spokes.

I plan to learn about spoke length calculation next. I have noticed the drive side original build spokes are only 2mm shorter than the NDS. The hub is 135mm and will use a 7 speed freewheel. I would have expected the drive side spokes to be a bit shorter?

@stephan I'm now seeing 15 gauge or 1.8mm isn't sold as a straight gauge option, 14 gauge 2mm straight gauge or butted 14/15 2/1.8 are probably my two best options, the front wheel is straight gauge 14 or 2mm so probably the way I'll go

The spoke length calculator produced lengths of 268.56 & 266.9, available stock lengths I'm seeing that line up are 270mm & 268mm, rounding up a bit or would it be better to choose 268mm NDS and 266mm DS do you think?

Also wondering if I have any local sources to buy, been using Bike 24 to get a feel for what's available on-line, ordered from them before

@stephan I'm now seeing 15 gauge or 1.8mm isn't sold as a straight gauge option, 14 gauge 2mm straight gauge or butted 14/15 2/1.8 are probably my two best options, the front wheel is straight gauge 14 or 2mm so probably the way I'll go

The spoke length calculator produced lengths of 268.56 & 266.9, available stock lengths I'm seeing that line up are 270mm & 268mm, rounding up a bit or would it be better to choose 268mm NDS and 266mm DS do you think?

Also wondering if I have any local sources to buy, been using Bike 24 to get a feel for what's available on-line, ordered from them before
Am on it, let me get back to you :cool:

Okies, you may have a slight problem, maybe an expensive one.

You might get away with 266 and 268 but in practise they could be too short and you have to go up to 268 / 270. You will have to try first to find out if that works for you, hence why it's a job for a professional with all the spoke lengths in his possession. It may be possible that DT Competition come in every millimetre lengths. Same dimensions 2.0/1.8/2.0mm.

Last edited:
Okies, you may have a slight problem, maybe an expensive one.

You might get away with 266 and 268 but in practise they could be too short and you have to go up to 268 / 270. You will have to try first to find out if that works for you, hence why it's a job for a professional with all the spoke lengths in his possession. It may be possible that DT Competition come in every millimetre lengths. Same dimensions 2.0/1.8/2.0mm.

Thanks so much for getting back to me here 👍 😁

Latest posts

Back