Electric kit car for kids - restoration project

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all,

it has been bestowed on me (i volunteered myself actually), to help embark on a project involving a small(ish) battery powered kids car.

so far the details aren't great, but it looks to be quite interesting.
so to the point:

its a kit car that the sellers dad bought and built
looks like 12V car battery powered (TBC)
its been sat for a couple of years, but was used by the chaps son (who's since grown out of using it)
has been kept in the shed since not being used.

from the images i've seen the motor/circuitry look to be OK, but there is a lot of dust/accumulation of bits all around the electrical parts and possibly some corrosion around connections.
it looks like it has some kind of control unit - for features i'm not sure of yet.

its been bought for £30 by a work colleague who wants to rescue it and have it for his nieces and he turned to me because i like this sort of stuff.
however, i may have to lean on some expertise electrically, as i didn't expect it to have the kind of components as you will see below.

these are the only pics i have, I will take some more later tonight and gather more details/history about where it came from.

i'm hoping that as it was a kit, that maybe there will be somewhere or some way of finding parts if necessary.

if anyone on here recognises this type of kit, point me to a good resource :)

it looks to be a decent kit, measures about 4ft by 3 ft (enough width for 2 kids to sit in)
all the motor/battery/electrics are in a hatched compartment located at the back of the vehicle.

Attachments

• Internals (3).JPG
    Internals (3).JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 4,194
  • Internals (2).JPG
    Internals (2).JPG
    59 KB · Views: 4,194
  • Internals (1).JPG
    Internals (1).JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 4,194
  • Car.jpg
    Car.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 4,194
picked up the car last night - its a pretty substantial little car! proper wheel clearance as you'd expect from a jeep, and, when i lifted the bonnet, it revealed a nice little manual with schematics and notes from the man who built it. forgot to bring the manual in today as i was going to look through it and upload the document for safe keeping and to see if any details about parts etc are in there.

all in all, looks like its a go for getting this one up and running again. just hope i have the know how to get stuck in with the electrics....pics soon....

I think the people that make toylanders make a jeep?
Never seen a Jeep but the landies do look good.

Attachments

• landies.jpg
    landies.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 4,154
Re: Re:

Gruff":14c19g5j said:
Here you go :D
Knew i'd seen one before and just down the road from me.
They used to be sold by Real life toys, now called Toylander.

http://www.toylander.com/

yes - had a look myself last week and came across the same website. i have the manual that goes with this model so i basically have everything to restore this.

its not going to be the quickest. i havent even seen it since my freind bought it.
ill be stripping the electrical components, cleaning them up and testing them to see if they are duff or not.

slowly slowly on this one. but hopefully something done before the sumer is over. getting a rolling chassis reconditioned is probably the priority, then the tweaks and twerks after that i imagine. barely have time to finish the current build i have, let alone help someone else :p :twisted:

Re: Re:

twain":2ngjg7yj said:
slowly slowly on this one. but hopefully something done before the sumer is over.

if you take too long, the kiddies will be too big to fit :facepalm:

Re:

This died on its arse when the weather turned bad. Its now resting in pieces somewhere in a landfill.
Probably for the best as we went to load it in the car and it disintegrated in our hands....

Back