Am I insane? Classic car content

Water comes in above the firewall in my MG, passengers have a lovely water feature on to their knees in heavy rain.

Solution? Don’t drive in heavy rain 😂

I found the cause of the leak. The windscreen frame seems to be a little bent in the middle. So I think that may need to be a fix.

I have a dream where I buy a birth year (79) and put in an MX5 engine, transmission and running gear - along with a sebring (copy) kit. Got a long way towards working out how a Ford 1.0 ecoboost could go in there too as I love that engine, but that's not exactly garage engineering. Would also be on Ronal Turbos because that would annoy a lot of people. It's on the list of "silly things Mark might do", which means it probably won't happen - but it' be a lot of fun.

I have a dream where I buy a birth year (79) and put in an MX5 engine, transmission and running gear - along with a sebring (copy) kit. Got a long way towards working out how a Ford 1.0 ecoboost could go in there too as I love that engine, but that's not exactly garage engineering. Would also be on Ronal Turbos because that would annoy a lot of people. It's on the list of "silly things Mark might do", which means it probably won't happen - but it' be a lot of fun.
mgb wheel base = 2312mm
mx5 mk1 wheel base = 2260
~25mm of centre for each wheel arch.
track width, meh, wide body.
1250 MGB
1500 MX5

just saying. ;)

Rover K series is a common (and potent) swap. 1.8vvc is bonkers in a car that weighs 650kg.

Company down south somewhere also now doing a swap using the engine from a Nissan Micra. Probably not as powerful as the K but likely to be more reliable!

Rover K series is a common (and potent) swap. 1.8vvc is bonkers in a car that weighs 650kg.

Company down south somewhere also now doing a swap using the engine from a Nissan Micra. Probably not as powerful as the K but likely to be more reliable!
Micra K12 1.6 is 110bhp from factory, minor amendment to 120 without any real work. very strong engine, timing chain and all.

no where near MX5 engine in terms of tunability but more than enough and it pulls my silly little arse along in a little over a ton of silly convertible micra quite happily.

I had a K series in my S2 Elise 111S, and when properly sorted (so they don't overheat) there's a very clear reason why they sold so many. Wouldn't be my pick though as an aftermarket upgrade, and I lived in constant fear of the fans not kicking in when the digital temp guage hit (IIRC) about 115 degrees. Was a bonkers little thing in the dry, and in the wet was a white knuckle ride.

The Micra 1.6 is another good engine, but the MX5 with the running gear would be my choice.

Well, actually the 1.0 ecoboost would be my choice as I absolutely love it, but the RWD application makes it a bit more involved!

Anyway back on topic - @Fatbrad what are your plans?

At the moment I'm thinking restoration to a daily driver. N/S sill needs doing. Bit of rust on the wheel arches. But she's fairly solid otherwise. Engine runs great and pulls nicely too even with 19st of fat old guy in it. I've ordered some LED lights though so I can actually see where I'm going at night 😂

At the moment I'm thinking restoration to a daily driver. N/S sill needs doing. Bit of rust on the wheel arches. But she's fairly solid otherwise. Engine runs great and pulls nicely too even with 19st of fat old guy in it. I've ordered some LED lights though so I can actually see where I'm going at night 😂
Send them back and do a loom conversion instead. (Or both, but be aware that LED bulbs aren't technically legal in your athletic of headlight). Loom conversion is a relay and direct power from the battery, although the underseat battery is still going to reduce how good it is.

Here has information for doing itnand halogen swap

Latest posts

Back